Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > IE vs Firefox

IE vs Firefox

Clydester

Hi:

I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
question:

There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
With Firefox, I get in fine.

I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

What does FF do differently than IE with cookies? I'm hoping to see if
perhaps FF has a setting that IE does not have in default or vice versa
so I can tweak IE and keep Mrs. Clydester off my back.

Thx!

Pastor Dave

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:

>Hi:
>
>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
>question:
>
>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
>With Firefox, I get in fine.
>
>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
and if that's what she's worried about (certain
sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.

I tried Opera. It was nice, but Firefox is less
powerful feature wise and as weird as it sounds,
that was a plus to me. I just wanted something
simple that worked and had a cool search feature.

--

Pastor Dave

Silence in the Face of Doctrinal Criticism is Suicide

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

http://tinyurl.com/ce97m

Clydester wrote:
> What does FF do differently than IE with cookies? I'm hoping to see if
> perhaps FF has a setting that IE does not have in default or vice versa
> so I can tweak IE and keep Mrs. Clydester off my back.
>
> Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Check your cookie settings in IE.

Tools > Options > Privacy.

Vartkes

"Pastor Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
>
>>Hi:
>>
>>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
>>question:
>>
>>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
>>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
>>With Firefox, I get in fine.
>>
>>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
>>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

> Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
> and if that's what she's worried about (certain
> sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
> [other nonsense deleted]

For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
at
https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

As for Mrs Clydester, I could suggest a few high-rise buildings
she can walk off of, but I'll refrain...

Arne

Once upon a time *Vartkes* wrote:
> "Pastor Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
>>>question:
>>>
>>>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
>>>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
>>>With Firefox, I get in fine.
>>>
>>>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
>>>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

>> Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
>> and if that's what she's worried about (certain
>> sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
>> [other nonsense deleted]

> For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
> as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
> at
> https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

"IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
extension.

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Ed Mullen

Arne wrote:

> Once upon a time *Vartkes* wrote:
>
>>"Pastor Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:

>>>Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
>>>and if that's what she's worried about (certain
>>>sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
>>>[other nonsense deleted]

>>For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
>>as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
>>at
>>https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox
>>

> "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
> and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
> does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
> it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
> there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
> extension.

User Agent Switcher

https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...numpg=10&id=59

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Pastor Dave

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:24:12 +0200, "Vartkes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:

>"Pastor Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
>>>question:
>>>
>>>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
>>>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
>>>With Firefox, I get in fine.
>>>
>>>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
>>>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

>> Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
>> and if that's what she's worried about (certain
>> sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
>> [other nonsense deleted]

>For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
>as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
>at
>https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

This is talking about "redirecting pages to IE".
Does that mean that it's going to open IE?
That's not what I would want.

--

Pastor Dave

Silence in the Face of Doctrinal Criticism is Suicide

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

http://tinyurl.com/ce97m

Pastor Dave

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:

>> "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
>> and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
>> does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
>> it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
>> there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
>> extension.
>>

>User Agent Switcher
>
>https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...numpg=10&id=59

Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
why descriptions aren't clearer.

In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
this does.

1) What is a "User Agent"?

2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
changing the way it works for me?

3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
Or does it add an option to the options menu,
that can be turned on and off?

Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.

Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
options.

Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
for anyone else?

Thanks!

--

Once upon a time *Pastor Dave* wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
>

>>> "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
>>> and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
>>> does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
>>> it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
>>> there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
>>> extension.
>>>

>>User Agent Switcher
>>
>>https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...numpg=10&id=59

> Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
> why descriptions aren't clearer.
>
> In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
> this does.
>
> 1) What is a "User Agent"?

An other (technical?) name for a web browser

> 2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
> within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
> changing the way it works for me?

When you change the UA it identifies itself as IE without rally
changing anything. On some sites where is says you need IE it can
work, but far from all. The reason is that the page works with
Mozilla/Ff but those "webmasters" don't know or belive it and are
browser sniffing so they can tell if you have IE or not

> 3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
> Or does it add an option to the options menu,
> that can be turned on and off?

At least in the Suite it goes back to "Real UA" when you close the
browser, if you don't change it back your self.

> Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.
>
> Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
> to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
> it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
> it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
> has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
> options.
>
> Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
> for anyone else?

I don't use Tb so I don't know for sure. But look in to the server
settings in Tools(?) >> Preferences, for your accounts. There you
should have the option "Automatically Download New Messages"

--

Pastor Dave wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
>

>>>"IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
>>>and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
>>>does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
>>>it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
>>>there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
>>>extension.
>>>

>>User Agent Switcher
>>
>>https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...numpg=10&id=59

> Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
> why descriptions aren't clearer.
>
> In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
> this does.
>
> 1) What is a "User Agent"?

It is a text string that identifies the software application being used,
browser or email/news. A Web page can be designed to detect the UA and
"do" something. Some sites detect that a non-IE browser is being used
and do things, usually incorrectly, to present different actions and/or
content to the user than is presented to an IE user.

> 2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
> within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
> changing the way it works for me?

Yes.

> 3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
> Or does it add an option to the options menu,
> that can be turned on and off?

The UA Switcher extension allows you to change to several different UAs.
It can be set to revert to the default (Firefox) UA when you exit the
browser.

> Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.
>
> Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
> to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
> it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
> it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
> has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
> options.

Tools - Account Settings. For each account (under Server Settings) you
can set what actions take place on load. "Check for new messages at
startup" and "Automatically download new messages" is what you need to
look at.

> Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
> for anyone else?
>
> Thanks!

Relative to what? I could tell you how long it takes /my/ TB to load
but there are a many factors to consider:

- Processor speed
- OS version
- Amount of RAM
- Number and which extensions installed
- Other programs resident or running
- Speed of Internet connection

Post yours, along with TB's time from launch to stable state. You'll
likely get lots of answers to compare.