Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > problems after resetting master password

problems after resetting master password

Hendrik Maryns

Hi,

A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I couldn't
find it anymore. I got a link to
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_pas...aster_password,
which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master password,
as expected.

BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether I
want the password to be remembered.

Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that it
knows them...

Is this a known bug, should I file it?

TIA, H.
--
Hendrik Maryns

Interesting websites:
www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

Ed Mullen

Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I couldn't
> find it anymore. I got a link to
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_pas...aster_password,
> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master password,
> as expected.
>
> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
> passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
> me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether I
> want the password to be remembered.
>
> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that it
> knows them...
>
> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
>
> TIA, H.

Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up the
pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the problem
sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to signons.txt.bak
then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF remembers the pw
then.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Hendrik Maryns

Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:
> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I
>> couldn't find it anymore. I got a link to
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_pas...aster_password,
>> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
>> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master
>> password, as expected.
>>
>> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
>> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
>> passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
>> me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether
>> I want the password to be remembered.
>>
>> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
>> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that
>> it knows them...
>>
>> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
>>
>> TIA, H.

> Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
> Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
> in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up the
> pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the problem
> sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to signons.txt.bak
> then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF remembers the pw
> then.

In signons.txt I only found the sites that it remembers now, after
having reset the password. There are no sites in the don't remember
list. I read something about removing key3.db, would that be an option?

Thanks, H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

Interesting websites:
www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

Hendrik Maryns

Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:
> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I
>> couldn't find it anymore. I got a link to
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_pas...aster_password,
>> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
>> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master
>> password, as expected.
>>
>> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
>> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
>> passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
>> me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether
>> I want the password to be remembered.
>>
>> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
>> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that
>> it knows them...
>>
>> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
>>
>> TIA, H.

> Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
> Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
> in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up the
> pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the problem
> sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to signons.txt.bak
> then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF remembers the pw
> then.

Thanks! The logins and pws were all still in the signon.txt file,
encrypted of course. After removing all those that didn't work anymore,
it works fine now!

I think I'll file this in bugzilla...?

--

Hendrik Maryns wrote:

> Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:
>
>> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I
>>> couldn't find it anymore. I got a link to
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_pas...aster_password,
>>> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
>>> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master
>>> password, as expected.
>>>
>>> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
>>> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does
>>> remember passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those
>>> sites, it asks me for the password, and doesn't even mention the
>>> dialog about whether I want the password to be remembered.
>>>
>>> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
>>> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that
>>> it knows them...
>>>
>>> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
>>>
>>> TIA, H.

>> Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
>> Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
>> in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up
>> the pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the
>> problem sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to
>> signons.txt.bak then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF
>> remembers the pw then.

> Thanks! The logins and pws were all still in the signon.txt file,
> encrypted of course. After removing all those that didn't work anymore,
> it works fine now!
>
> I think I'll file this in bugzilla...?

Glad you got it sorted out. And that you (of course) immediately did a
full profile backup.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html

Hendrik Maryns

Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 22:08:
> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>
>> Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:

>>> Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
>>> Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered
>>> are in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing
>>> up the pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the
>>> problem sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to
>>> signons.txt.bak then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if
>>> FF remembers the pw then.

>> Thanks! The logins and pws were all still in the signon.txt file,
>> encrypted of course. After removing all those that didn't work
>> anymore, it works fine now!
>>
>> I think I'll file this in bugzilla...?
>>

> Glad you got it sorted out. And that you (of course) immediately did a
> full profile backup.

:-s I live life on the edge. No seriously, I didn't; always forgetting
that. grm. But hey, with three different versions of FF installed,
things get confusing sometimes! I was editing the wrong signon file at
first :-\

Anyway thanks.