Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > What file is used to autocomplete web address-Firefox blew away history again

What file is used to autocomplete web address-Firefox blew away history again

Jim

Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
form completion and saved passwords are intact.

I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?

This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
and going back to Mozilla suite.

Jim

Jim

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:02:59 -0500, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
>for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
>in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
>autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
>history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
>that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
>disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
>form completion and saved passwords are intact.
>
>I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
>solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
>more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?
>
>This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
>and going back to Mozilla suite.
>
>Jim

Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
history.dat is the only required file.

This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
disgusting.

dryd[takethisout]

Jim wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:02:59 -0500, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
>>for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
>>in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
>>autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
>>history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
>>that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
>>disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
>>form completion and saved passwords are intact.
>>
>>I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
>>solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
>>more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?
>>
>>This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
>>and going back to Mozilla suite.
>>
>>Jim

> Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
> file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
> history.dat is the only required file.
>
> This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
> disgusting.

Go the Suite!

Jim

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:19:37 GMT, "dryd[takethisout]"
<"dryd[takethisout]"@bigpond.com> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:02:59 -0500, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
>>>for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
>>>in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
>>>autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
>>>history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
>>>that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
>>>disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
>>>form completion and saved passwords are intact.
>>>
>>>I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
>>>solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
>>>more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?
>>>
>>>This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
>>>and going back to Mozilla suite.
>>>
>>>Jim

>> Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
>> file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
>> history.dat is the only required file.
>>
>> This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
>> disgusting.
>>

>Go the Suite!

Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
figure out ASAP how to move things over!

Ed Mullen

Jim wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:19:37 GMT, "dryd[takethisout]"
> <"dryd[takethisout]"@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>Jim wrote:

>>>Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
>>>file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
>>>history.dat is the only required file.
>>>
>>>This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
>>>disgusting.
>>>

>>Go the Suite!

> Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
> seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
> figure out ASAP how to move things over!

Before you go too crazy, try starting FF in Safe Mode and see what
happens: it might be an extension conflict. If that doesn't work, try
creating a new profile and see if the behavior persists. If not,
migrate only the essential data from the old one. If it does, the next
step is to try uninstall and re-install with a fresh profile.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Jim

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:19:37 GMT, "dryd[takethisout]"
>> <"dryd[takethisout]"@bigpond.com> wrote:

>>>Go the Suite!

>> Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
>> seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
>> figure out ASAP how to move things over!

>Before you go too crazy, try starting FF in Safe Mode and see what
>happens: it might be an extension conflict. If that doesn't work, try
>creating a new profile and see if the behavior persists. If not,
>migrate only the essential data from the old one. If it does, the next
>step is to try uninstall and re-install with a fresh profile.

The one time I started it in Safe Mode, all was fine. But then again
90% or more of the time when I start it in regular mode all is fine.
Meanwhile...thank goodness for goback and ability to rescue the last
good history file.

Jim

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:59:22 -0500, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Jim wrote:

>>> Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
>>> seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
>>> figure out ASAP how to move things over!

>>Before you go too crazy, try starting FF in Safe Mode and see what
>>happens: it might be an extension conflict. If that doesn't work, try
>>creating a new profile and see if the behavior persists. If not,
>>migrate only the essential data from the old one. If it does, the next
>>step is to try uninstall and re-install with a fresh profile.

>The one time I started it in Safe Mode, all was fine. But then again
>90% or more of the time when I start it in regular mode all is fine.
>Meanwhile...thank goodness for goback and ability to rescue the last
>good history file.

Happened again. This time, I restore the old history file, and every
time I do so and restart Firefox it gets deleted and replaced by an
empty one. Same thing even happened when started in safe mode. Same
thing happened after restoring, rebooting and starting in safe mode.

Time to give Mozilla Suite a whirl. The suggestion 2 paragraphs up
may be valid but I've had enough grief.

Jim

Why should this be happening only very sporadically?!