Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Where are my Firefox helper apps?

Where are my Firefox helper apps?

Hiawatha Bray

I used to be able to play audio files on my Linux computer with just a
click. Then it stopped working. When I went to file types under
Preferences, the field is empty. When I look at plug-ins, there's one
entry, for Java. There's nothing there for playing audio files.

I'm mystified as to why it worked, then stopped working. But for now, I
have a more important concern--there's no way to put in new helper apps or
plug-ins. There's nothing that tells you how to add them back. Anybody know
how? Thanks.

Doug G

Hiawatha Bray wrote:
> I used to be able to play audio files on my Linux computer with just a
> click. Then it stopped working. When I went to file types under
> Preferences, the field is empty. When I look at plug-ins, there's one
> entry, for Java. There's nothing there for playing audio files.
>
> I'm mystified as to why it worked, then stopped working. But for now, I
> have a more important concern--there's no way to put in new helper apps or
> plug-ins. There's nothing that tells you how to add them back. Anybody know
> how? Thanks.

AFAIK, Firefox uses the O/S's settings for helper applications. There
is nothing listed in my Firefox's File Types box.

Some of the plugins I have listed in aboutlugins put their DLL files
in Firefox's plugins folder when they were installed or configured. I
copied the other DLL files there.

I use Windows XP.

Moz Champion

Doug G wrote:
> Hiawatha Bray wrote:
>
>> I used to be able to play audio files on my Linux computer with just a
>> click. Then it stopped working. When I went to file types under
>> Preferences, the field is empty. When I look at plug-ins, there's one
>> entry, for Java. There's nothing there for playing audio files.
>>
>> I'm mystified as to why it worked, then stopped working. But for now,
>> I have a more important concern--there's no way to put in new helper
>> apps or plug-ins. There's nothing that tells you how to add them
>> back. Anybody know how? Thanks.
>>

> AFAIK, Firefox uses the O/S's settings for helper applications. There
> is nothing listed in my Firefox's File Types box.
>
> Some of the plugins I have listed in aboutlugins put their DLL files
> in Firefox's plugins folder when they were installed or configured. I
> copied the other DLL files there.
>
> I use Windows XP.

There will be no helper applications listed unless you add them.
When (and if) you run into a mime type that Firefox cant handle, then
the helper application will be entered for you, based on your choices at
that time.

Plug-ins have to be installed to be available for Firefox usage
see
> https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/

What's the purpose of the helper cache and is there a way to just turn off helper cache-ing? kevin Ruby 1 07-21-2006 03:42 AM
How do I "hook up" helper apps? kimcheeman Firefox 10 04-18-2005 10:17 PM
Browser Helper Objects JohnFol ASP .Net 0 10-08-2004 02:29 PM
helper applications Tendril Firefox 1 10-20-2003 11:44 PM
ip helper and ip directed broadcast help required ashley Cisco 2 07-22-2003 08:55 PM

Advertisments