Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 1.0.next?

Thunderbird 1.0.next?

Dennis J. Tuchler

Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
public use soon?

dj tuchler

Moz Champion

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
> public use soon?
>
> dj tuchler

Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.

Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
encouraged to stay with 1.0.2

What's New For Testing in Alpha 1

* Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
* Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
* Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
* Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
* Re-designed Options Dialog
* Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
configure an SMTP server for each identity.
* An Improved Spell Check Engine
* Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
* Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
* Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during
autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
* Offline Improvements
* Ability to have global inbox filters
* Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
* TLS Support for POP3
* Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
* Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
views or search/filter on flagged messages).
* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

Moz Champion

Moz Champion wrote:
> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>
>> Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
>> public use soon?
>>
>> dj tuchler

> Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.
>
> Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
> Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
> encouraged to stay with 1.0.2
>
> What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
>

> * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
> and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
> Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
> * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
> * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
> * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
> subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
> * Re-designed Options Dialog
> * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
> accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
> configure an SMTP server for each identity.
> * An Improved Spell Check Engine
> * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
> * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
> hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
> * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during autocomplete
> if you are using LDAP.
> * Offline Improvements
> * Ability to have global inbox filters
> * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
> * TLS Support for POP3
> * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
> * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
> views or search/filter on flagged messages).
> * Many bug fixes and other improvements.

Erratta:

Thunderbird 1.0.2 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.

Erratta:

I apologize for the inconvenience

Adelaide

Moz Champion wrote:

> Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.
>
> Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
> Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
> encouraged to stay with 1.0.2
>
> What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
>

> * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
> and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
> Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
> * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
> * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
> * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
> subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
> * Re-designed Options Dialog
> * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
> accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
> configure an SMTP server for each identity.
> * An Improved Spell Check Engine
> * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
> * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
> hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
> * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during
> autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
> * Offline Improvements
> * Ability to have global inbox filters
> * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
> * TLS Support for POP3
> * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
> * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
> views or search/filter on flagged messages).
> * Many bug fixes and other improvements.

Will it be ready tomorrow?

Seriously guys, just wanted to say thanks for the great job you are
doing..not only with the programs but also the ever-patient and tolerant
support you give users here. As a new and avid convert from IE I was a
little leery of the Help situation but this is my first stop. And I have
no unsolved problems to my knowledge!
I love the whole idea of how you *work*, and I am in awe of you all! I
*do* spread the word. <s>

Adelaide

schrodinger's cat

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
time to TBird.
--
schrodinger's cat

Moz Champion

schrodinger's cat wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
>>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

> Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
> delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
> ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
> sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
> time to TBird.

Please do not snip or edit post thankyou
it makes it quite difficult for me to respond berefit of what has been
said previously.
Even tho I wrote (according to the attribution) those lines, remembering
exactly what I wrote and why is difficult since I reply to multiple
dozens of messages on any given day

There are extensions for message filters that can react more eloquontly
to headers, and give you multiple sig capability as well. Whether 'on
server' features will be added I have no information on such

Multiple signatures can be added by using the extension
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=118 Tagzilla

Extending filter actions can be added by
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1910 TB New Filters
and
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=382 Mnenhy

schrodinger's cat

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:16:47 GMT Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>>> Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
>>> public use soon?

>> >dj tuchler

>Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.
>
>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
>Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
>encouraged to stay with 1.0.2
>
>What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
>

> * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
>and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
>Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
> * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
> * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
> * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
>subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
> * Re-designed Options Dialog
> * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
>accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
>configure an SMTP server for each identity.
> * An Improved Spell Check Engine
> * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
> * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
>hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
> * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during
>autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
> * Offline Improvements
> * Ability to have global inbox filters
> * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
> * TLS Support for POP3
> * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
> * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
>views or search/filter on flagged messages).
> * Many bug fixes and other improvements.

>schrodinger's cat wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
>>>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

>> Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
>> delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
>> ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
>> sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
>> time to TBird.

>Please do not snip or edit post thankyou
>it makes it quite difficult for me to respond berefit of what has been
>said previously.
>Even tho I wrote (according to the attribution) those lines, remembering
>exactly what I wrote and why is difficult since I reply to multiple
>dozens of messages on any given day

I beg your pardon. I am accustomed to following the long established
and preferred usenet protocol of trimming quoted material of
extraneous or irrelevant verbiage when posting a reply. Since nothing
in your previous post was germane to my inquiry, and since my question
was quite clear on its own, I did not feel that re-stating the 40+
lines was useful. However, I will try to remember your preference
should I respond to one of your posts in the future. Meanwhile, please
note that I have re-pasted your original message above for your
convenience.

>There are extensions for message filters that can react more eloquontly
>to headers, and give you multiple sig capability as well. Whether 'on
>server' features will be added I have no information on such
>
>Multiple signatures can be added by using the extension
>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=118 Tagzilla
>
>Extending filter actions can be added by
>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1910 TB New Filters
>and
>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=382 Mnenhy

If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as
several other extensions, such as "Signature" or "Signature-Switch"
(which I currently use). As far as header filters are concerned, I
have not found a way to devise a filter, even using extensions, which
allows for manipulation of messages on the POP server. Although
deletion of messages from the server is obviously built in to
Thunderbird, since there are optional account settings to accomplish
this under certain triggers, it is not possible for individual
messages, as it is in Eudora for example. Oh well, perhaps someone
will write an extension which will incorporate this useful ability. In
the meantime, I can utilize third party tools such as Pop Peeper.
--
schrodinger's cat

Ed Mullen

schrodinger's cat wrote:

> If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
> single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as

Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

schrodinger's cat

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:49:44 -0400 Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>schrodinger's cat wrote:
>

>> If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
>> single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as

>Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.

Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that.
--
schrodinger's cat

Ed Mullen

schrodinger's cat wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:49:44 -0400 Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>schrodinger's cat wrote:
>>

>>>If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
>>>single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as

>>Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.

> Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that.

Happy to help. Following my sig (ending with
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html) is a multi-line tag inserted by
Tagzilla.

Mozmail vs. Thunderbird... Axl Firefox 5 08-19-2003 07:29 PM
Thunderbird Bryce Hardy Firefox 1 08-12-2003 03:19 PM
Linking Firebird / Thunderbird jimm67(nospam) Firefox 0 07-06-2003 01:46 PM

Advertisments