Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET 2.0 Can't download EXE files

ASP.NET 2.0 Can't download EXE files

Michael Tissington

I have a web site with some EXE files for people to download.
However, when ever I try to download one of these filese I get an error

Can't find Server or DNS error ...

And yes the url is correct.

Any idea what might be causing this ?

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

Ken Cox - Microsoft MVP

Hi Michael,

Is this on a site hosted for you?

Check whether .exe is a forbidden extension.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...21120121120120

Some extensions may be handled by ASP.NET

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2wawkw1c.aspx

"Michael Tissington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23lmprwQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a web site with some EXE files for people to download.
> However, when ever I try to download one of these filese I get an error
>
> Can't find Server or DNS error ...
>
> And yes the url is correct.
>
> Any idea what might be causing this ?
>
> --
> Michael Tissington
> http://www.oaklodge.com
> http://www.tabtag.com

Michael Tissington

Yes, its a hosted site.

They have setup the script mappings but still no joy.

I get the same problem with exe, pfd, msi, zip (all of which they have setup
they script mappings for)

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

"Ken Cox - Microsoft MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uV0fHvR%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Michael,
>
> Is this on a site hosted for you?
>
> Check whether .exe is a forbidden extension.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...21120121120120
>
> Some extensions may be handled by ASP.NET
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2wawkw1c.aspx
>

> "Michael Tissington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23lmprwQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a web site with some EXE files for people to download.
>> However, when ever I try to download one of these filese I get an error
>>
>> Can't find Server or DNS error ...
>>
>> And yes the url is correct.
>>
>> Any idea what might be causing this ?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Tissington
>> http://www.oaklodge.com
>> http://www.tabtag.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your posting.
Regarding on this file downloading issue, I've also found your another
duplicated thread in this group:

Subject: ASP2.0 Can't download files Forms Authentication
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:31:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

I've posted my response there. I'd appreciate if you have a look there.
Also, if you feel it convenient that we continue to discuss in that thread,
please feel free to post there.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support