Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > asp.net and non IE browsers

asp.net and non IE browsers

Alex A.

I am having problems with my asp.net pages that are being accessed by
non IE browsers.
1- they look horrible
2- some of the basic functionallity is not working at all.

I've read several treads on this and most (if not all) recommend adding
the <browsercap> section to either the config.web file or the
machine.config file, (see http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps).
I've tested both with absolutly no success.

Mostly I'm interested in making sure that the Mac Safari browser works,
if they're on Windows they can use IE.

Any suggestions, comments, solutions are all welcomed.

Thanks

Edwin Knoppert

Just wanted to note that Opera on Windows works fine, not 100% but maybe 95%
or so.
Of course you mentioned another browser.

"Alex A." <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am having problems with my asp.net pages that are being accessed by
> non IE browsers.
> 1- they look horrible
> 2- some of the basic functionallity is not working at all.
>
> I've read several treads on this and most (if not all) recommend adding
> the <browsercap> section to either the config.web file or the
> machine.config file, (see http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps).
> I've tested both with absolutly no success.
>
> Mostly I'm interested in making sure that the Mac Safari browser works,
> if they're on Windows they can use IE.
>
> Any suggestions, comments, solutions are all welcomed.
>
> Thanks

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You'll need to do a lot of testing with Apple Safari if you want to support
that browser.
There is no single way to get the pages to display great in both browsers.
In some cases you can add styles to controls to get them to appear properly.
In some cases you can customize the HTML to get things to appear properly.
In some cases it will be easiest to do a browser detection and output one
thing for IE and another for Safari.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"Alex A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am having problems with my asp.net pages that are being accessed by
> non IE browsers.
> 1- they look horrible
> 2- some of the basic functionallity is not working at all.
>
> I've read several treads on this and most (if not all) recommend adding
> the <browsercap> section to either the config.web file or the
> machine.config file, (see http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps).
> I've tested both with absolutly no success.
>
> Mostly I'm interested in making sure that the Mac Safari browser works,
> if they're on Windows they can use IE.
>
> Any suggestions, comments, solutions are all welcomed.
>
> Thanks

Alex A.

I have to support Safari, 10% or so of our community run Macs.

I'd be happy if my problem at the moment was just formatting and
working so it looked "right", but right now some of the basic
functionality if not even working.

Such as populating Dropdownlists, datagrid not displaying, etc...

Alex A.

I'd be happy if at the moment if my only issue was making it look
"right" for the Mac, the most basic functionality is not even working
on any other browser than IE.

Dropdownlists not populating, datagrids not displaying, etc...

Marina

I am guessing asp.net just doesn't know how to render things properly on
browsers that either support little functionality, or support it in a
different.

You may be better off not using server side controls, and just using plain
HTML controls, that post to the server in response to user interaction. This
way you have 100% control over what HTML is being sent down to the browser.

"Alex A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have to support Safari, 10% or so of our community run Macs.
>
> I'd be happy if my problem at the moment was just formatting and
> working so it looked "right", but right now some of the basic
> functionality if not even working.
>
> Such as populating Dropdownlists, datagrid not displaying, etc...

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Have you tried ASP.NET 2.0 yet?
It's supposed to have improved cross browser support, although I haven't yet
tried it with Safari.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://SteveOrr.net

"Alex A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'd be happy if at the moment if my only issue was making it look
> "right" for the Mac, the most basic functionality is not even working
> on any other browser than IE.
>
> Dropdownlists not populating, datagrids not displaying, etc...

Alex A.

I've test 2.0 but not with this and this is a production site so it
won't go 2.0 for a few months.