Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Ubuntu linux firefox users

Ubuntu linux firefox users

Colyn

I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.

Is there another way to upgrade?

--
Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Kouros

Colyn wrote:
> I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
> firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
>
> Is there another way to upgrade?

Having not used Ubuntu yet, I can only guess, but... can you download it
from http://www.mozilla.org ?

Colyn

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:50:18 +0100, Kouros <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
>> firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
>>
>> Is there another way to upgrade?

>Having not used Ubuntu yet, I can only guess, but... can you download it
>from http://www.mozilla.org ?

I can do a full install from the dl from firefox but then I would have
to do a sym link to the old version since uninstalling it would take
other needed packages.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Marek Williams

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:27:36 GMT, Colyn <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:50:18 +0100, Kouros <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
>>> firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
>>>
>>> Is there another way to upgrade?

>>Having not used Ubuntu yet, I can only guess, but... can you download it
>>from http://www.mozilla.org ?
>>

>I can do a full install from the dl from firefox but then I would have
>to do a sym link to the old version since uninstalling it would take
>other needed packages.

Actually, you may already have 1.04. When I go to mozilla.org the site
senses I have Ubuntu and a message appears alerting me that there is a
bug in Ubuntu 5.04 with respect to Firefox. For some reason it
displays Forefox 1.02 as the version installed regardless of which
version is actually installed. Thus, mozilla.org is cannot tell which
version you really have.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Colyn

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:52:15 -0700, Marek Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Actually, you may already have 1.04. When I go to mozilla.org the site
>senses I have Ubuntu and a message appears alerting me that there is a
>bug in Ubuntu 5.04 with respect to Firefox. For some reason it
>displays Forefox 1.02 as the version installed regardless of which
>version is actually installed. Thus, mozilla.org is cannot tell which
>version you really have.

I found out that updating via the red update button on the task bar
updates firefox with the 1.0.4 security patch.

I also found out how to access the mozilla addon page to install
themes, extensions, and plugins.

Open firefox and type about:config scroll down to
general.useragent.vendorSub.
Right click on the version 1.0 and select modify. Change the version
to 1.0.4 save and close firefox then restart. You can then access the
addon page.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Marek Williams

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:26:49 GMT, Colyn <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:52:15 -0700, Marek Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Actually, you may already have 1.04. When I go to mozilla.org the site
>>senses I have Ubuntu and a message appears alerting me that there is a
>>bug in Ubuntu 5.04 with respect to Firefox. For some reason it
>>displays Forefox 1.02 as the version installed regardless of which
>>version is actually installed. Thus, mozilla.org is cannot tell which
>>version you really have.

>I found out that updating via the red update button on the task bar
>updates firefox with the 1.0.4 security patch.

I don't have a red button on the task bar because I don't have a task
bar. I have Ubuntu-64, not Windows. There is a round flower-looking
thing just under the X in the upper right corner of the Firefox
window, but it takes me to Ubuntu, not mozilla.org.

>I also found out how to access the mozilla addon page to install
>themes, extensions, and plugins.

>Open firefox and type about:config scroll down to
>general.useragent.vendorSub.
>Right click on the version 1.0 and select modify. Change the version
>to 1.0.4 save and close firefox then restart. You can then access the
>addon page.

Cool deal!

OK, I did that. But in the Help > About it still says I have 1.02.
However, mozilla.org no longer gives me the message about not knowing
what version I have, so maybe it did something.

As for the addon page. I can't find it. At least, not from
mozilla.org. I can get to a page that may be what you are referring by
clicking on Tools > Extensions. That lists several plugins and
extensions.

The one I really want is RealPlayer. But downloading it is weird. I
have Firefox set up to download everything to my desktop. So I
downloaded realplayer10.bin (or whatever the exact filename was). It
did not appear on my desktop. I have Desktop set in Edit > Preferences
as the place to download everything. I mean, the download window
popped up and it appeared to be downloading, but nothing appeared on
my desktop. Switching to command line and doing a ls on my Desktop, it
is definitely not on my desktop. Doing a deeper search revealed that
it is not anywhere on my computer.

I logged out and back in for a few minutes as root. Tried it all
again. Still no download file. And no error messages either. Evidently
it went off planet and is now on its way to Alpha Centauri.

And this is not the first time that Firefox has failed to download a
file that it said it was downloading. Not sure what the bug is, but
it's annoying.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Colyn

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:04:38 -0700, Marek Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I don't have a red button on the task bar because I don't have a task
>bar. I have Ubuntu-64, not Windows. There is a round flower-looking
>thing just under the X in the upper right corner of the Firefox
>window, but it takes me to Ubuntu, not mozilla.org.

I have Ubuntu 5.04
After install a red button appears on the task bar near the clock
location. You click this button and your system is updated with any
new updates posted since the CD was released.

>OK, I did that. But in the Help > About it still says I have 1.02.
>However, mozilla.org no longer gives me the message about not knowing
>what version I have, so maybe it did something.

It will still say v1.0.2 in the about section.

>As for the addon page. I can't find it. At least, not from
>mozilla.org. I can get to a page that may be what you are referring by
>clicking on Tools > Extensions. That lists several plugins and
>extensions.

That is the addon page. My copy of firefox has a link in bookmarks to
this page.

>The one I really want is RealPlayer. But downloading it is weird. I
>have Firefox set up to download everything to my desktop. So I
>downloaded realplayer10.bin (or whatever the exact filename was). It
>did not appear on my desktop. I have Desktop set in Edit > Preferences
>as the place to download everything. I mean, the download window
>popped up and it appeared to be downloading, but nothing appeared on
>my desktop. Switching to command line and doing a ls on my Desktop, it
>is definitely not on my desktop. Doing a deeper search revealed that
>it is not anywhere on my computer.
>
>I logged out and back in for a few minutes as root. Tried it all
>again. Still no download file. And no error messages either. Evidently
>it went off planet and is now on its way to Alpha Centauri.
>
>And this is not the first time that Firefox has failed to download a
>file that it said it was downloading. Not sure what the bug is, but
>it's annoying.

Look in the desktop folder in your home folder. Don't know if it is
there but worth a look..

--
Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

schrodinger's cat

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:39:51 GMT Colyn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
>firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
>http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
>
>Is there another way to upgrade?

Go to http://ubuntuguide.org/ and follow the instructions for adding
extra repositories. You will then be able to get Firefox 1.0.4 from
the backport repositories. You may still need to change the
general.useragent.vendorSub string value to 1.0.4 to access the
mozilla site.
--
schrodinger's cat