Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > profile trick, really anoying

profile trick, really anoying

Splibbilla

fortunately i backup often.

but when i add a new profile in moz suite. an extra layr of folder gets added.
example:
data\prof_folder\profname\profname\

ff does it differntly. (more rationally)
data\prof_folder\profname\

the problem is tat this is not clear when adding a profile. so the new ff profile gets dumped at the root of existing ff profilers!

then when you delete the new profile (no worries. it contains no customization). the prof manageer asked whether you wnat to
delete the profile folder. well of course.
unfortunately it deletes the root folder (and everything in it! (the other older profiles.
fortunately i backup often.
fortunately i backup often.
fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup
often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.fortunately i backup often.
fortunately i backup often.

or, as i like to recommend: backup often
backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

backup often

but it's still irritating rebuilding the profiles.

--
Gecko/1.7.8: 20050511, Mozilla1.7.20050.51112, Firefox1.0.4 DeerParkRc1 Trying: Rip, infoRSS
1 WinXP + FF + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage, PrefBar, Tabmix, IEView, &?

Ed Mullen

Splibbilla wrote:

> fortunately i backup often.
>
> but when i add a new profile in moz suite. an extra layr of folder gets added.
> example:
> data\prof_folder\profname\profname\
>
> ff does it differntly. (more rationally)
> data\prof_folder\profname\
>
> the problem is tat this is not clear when adding a profile. so the new ff profile gets dumped at the root of existing ff profilers!
>
> then when you delete the new profile (no worries. it contains no customization). the prof manageer asked whether you wnat to
> delete the profile folder. well of course.
> unfortunately it deletes the root folder (and everything in it! (the other older profiles.
> fortunately i backup often.

[snip despite heartily agreeing with your stressing backups!]

I may not be following you. Using Windows XP. When I create a new
profile in either Firefox or the Suite the default is to create a new
folder with a randomly generated name. Unless you change the default
root folder location during the creation process the only difference is:

Suite path
C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[profile name you entered]\[random].slt

Firefox path
C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random].[profile name you entered]

Deleting a profile only deletes the profile folder *unless* you changed
the default root folder during the creation process.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Splibbilla

Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> [snip despite heartily agreeing with your stressing backups!]
>
> I may not be following you. Using Windows XP. When I create a new
> profile in either Firefox or the Suite the default is to create a new
> folder with a randomly generated name. Unless you change the default
> root folder location during the creation process the only difference is:
>
> Suite path
> C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[profile name you entered]\[random].slt
>
> Firefox path
> C:\Documents and Settings\[windowsuser]\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random].[profile name you entered]
>
> Deleting a profile only deletes the profile folder *unless* you changed
> the default root folder during the creation process.

yes, i have put all profiles into a locatoin more useful for backups. essentially i have substituted teh path:

Suite path
C:\MozProf\[profile name you entered]\[random].slt\

Firefox path
C:\FProf\[foldername entered]\

also for both moz & ff, i give profile the same name as foldername

it appears that moz creates the name for the last level of folder, while ff lets you name all folders.

since i don't create profiles very often, it would be nice if the dialog made it obvious how many levels were being created.

when user diligently checks, then attempts to correct this levels vagueness, the deletion of *all* profiles is just a nasty "adding
injury to insult" trick. i think the way to fix the misleading foldernames, is to delete profile name in profile mangler, then
manually delete "Dead" files and folders in windows.

interestingly, when the whole profiles fodler disappears, all of the other profilenames remain in p manager. but since their
folders have been deleted, they are also "dead".

--
i deleted list of cfg in my sig, because the list has been 'polluting' google group results with moz_extension names irrelevant to
post. (was also 'wasteful of bandwidth')