Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird filter problem

Thunderbird filter problem

shegeek72

I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
the same) in the subject are still getting through.

Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
log), but there's no log. Where's the log?

Thanks,
SG

Moz Champion

shegeek72 wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
> in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
> working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
> account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
> checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
> delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
> the same) in the subject are still getting through.
>
> Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
> click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
> log), but there's no log. Where's the log?
>
> Thanks,
> SG

Remember that filters are only applicable to the account they are listed
in, not any other account.

Depends on the exact wording of the filter

<Subject><is>[Mortgage]

will only catch messages that have that one word as Subject
but
<Subject><contains>[Mortgage] would catch any message with the word in
the Subject

When you click on <Filter Log> from the Message Filters Window a new
window should slide down out of the Message Filters Bar (at the top of
the Window).

The log itself is the blank area below the Filter Log Checkmark (which
you can only see in the Filter Log window)

If your filter is not catching anything, and you say it isnt, then
there's a good reason there are no log entries, there wasnt anything to
log <g>

You can check the effaciacy of a filter (if its Subject based anyway)
simply by mailing yourself a message with the specific subject

Doug G

shegeek72 wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
> in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
> working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
> account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
> checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
> delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
> the same) in the subject are still getting through.
>
> Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
> click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
> log), but there's no log. Where's the log?
>
> Thanks,
> SG

Does the filter look like this?

(*) Match any of the following
Subject Contains mortgage
[X] Delete the message

While TB is closed, try replacing the msgFilterRules.dat file in its
profile with the msgFilterRules.dat file from your Mozilla profile.

Try using your mouse to resize the Filter Log window.

Ed Mullen

shegeek72 wrote:

> I'm having trouble with the message filters in TB 1.0.2 (that I didn't
> in Mozilla). I've set several filters, but they don't appear to be
> working. For example, I have one set for the inbox of one account (main
> account) when the subject is mortgage (match any of the following is
> checked, though I don't think it makes a difference with one word) to
> delete the email. However, emails with mortgage (it's spelled exactly
> the same) in the subject are still getting through.
>
> Also, in the filter log I have enable filter log checked, but when I
> click on filter log again I'm taken to the same window (enable filter
> log), but there's no log. Where's the log?
>
> Thanks,
> SG

It may be that another filter higher up in the hierarchy is acting on
those messages before the other one can.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

shegeek72

Moz Champion wrote:> you can only see in the Filter Log window)

> If your filter is not catching anything, and you say it isnt, then
> there's a good reason there are no log entries, there wasnt anything to
> log <g>
>
> You can check the effaciacy of a filter (if its Subject based anyway)
> simply by mailing yourself a message with the specific subject

I took your advice and sent a test email with mortgage in the subject
from another account and it was deleted, so the filter is working.
Though I still can't get the filter log to open in TB.

I found the filter log file (filterlog.html), opened it in FF and there
are many entries, including the test email. However, the entries
themselves have changed since migrating from mozilla to TB. For
example, the entries from mozilla look like this example:

Applied filter "netpanel" to message from TheNetPanel
<(E-Mail Removed)> - SPAM: Christian? Single? We have the
solution. at 2005-03-02 21:47:11 Action = Delete

But the entries after migrating to TB look like this:

Applied filter "mortgage" to message from - at 1969-12-31 16:00:00
Action = Delete

In fact, all the entries since migrating to TB have the same timestamp:
1969-12-31 16:00:00

Unless TB is able to go back in time, it looks like this could be
causing the filter log viewing problem.

SG

Moz Champion

shegeek72 wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:> you can only see in the Filter Log window)
>

>>If your filter is not catching anything, and you say it isnt, then
>>there's a good reason there are no log entries, there wasnt anything to
>>log <g>
>>
>>You can check the effaciacy of a filter (if its Subject based anyway)
>>simply by mailing yourself a message with the specific subject

> I took your advice and sent a test email with mortgage in the subject
> from another account and it was deleted, so the filter is working.
> Though I still can't get the filter log to open in TB.
>
> I found the filter log file (filterlog.html), opened it in FF and there
> are many entries, including the test email. However, the entries
> themselves have changed since migrating from mozilla to TB. For
> example, the entries from mozilla look like this example:
>
> Applied filter "netpanel" to message from TheNetPanel
> <(E-Mail Removed)> - SPAM: Christian? Single? We have the
> solution. at 2005-03-02 21:47:11 Action = Delete
>
> But the entries after migrating to TB look like this:
>
> Applied filter "mortgage" to message from - at 1969-12-31 16:00:00
> Action = Delete
>
> In fact, all the entries since migrating to TB have the same timestamp:
> 1969-12-31 16:00:00
>
> Unless TB is able to go back in time, it looks like this could be
> causing the filter log viewing problem.
>
> SG

I disagree with having filters automatically delete messages. Especially
if you havent verified they are working correctly ! <g>

use <move to folder>, even move to trash if you wish, and see if the
logs work then.

shegeek72

Moz Champion wrote:

> use <move to folder>, even move to trash if you wish, and see if the
> logs work then.

The delete command sends the emails to the Trash folder.

SG

Moz Champion

shegeek72 wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>

>>use <move to folder>, even move to trash if you wish, and see if the
>>logs work then.

> The delete command sends the emails to the Trash folder.
>
> SG

Since your editing/snipping removed all the pertinant details from the
mesage its impossible for me to comment at all.

The problem may be familiar to you, it isnt to others. You may have read
the thread in order as it was posted, my involvement is that I only read
the unread messages, I simply dont have time to re-read the entire
thread, message by message to attempt to figure out all the details.

I dont have a clue what you are talking about, it seems to be something
I said but without the context its meaningless.

Moz Champion wrote:
> When you click on <Filter Log> from the Message Filters Window a new
> window should slide down out of the Message Filters Bar (at the top of
> the Window).
>
> The log itself is the blank area below the Filter Log Checkmark (which
> you can only see in the Filter Log window)

Oh, _that's_ where it is!

That particular Filter Log window comes shrunk so that the log is not
visible at all. You need to drag the bottom border of the window
downward to see the log.

FYI, IMO, that's confusing.

Moz Champion

Z wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> When you click on <Filter Log> from the Message Filters Window a new
>> window should slide down out of the Message Filters Bar (at the top of
>> the Window).
>>
>> The log itself is the blank area below the Filter Log Checkmark (which
>> you can only see in the Filter Log window)

> Oh, _that's_ where it is!
>
> That particular Filter Log window comes shrunk so that the log is not
> visible at all. You need to drag the bottom border of the window
> downward to see the log.
>
> FYI, IMO, that's confusing.

Thats strange, the default setting for the log window is included in the
program, so unless you were using a test build or someone adjusted the
window size, that couldnt occur