Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Question about Firefox extentions

Question about Firefox extentions

History Fan

There are dozens and dozens of extensions available for the Firefox
browser. I'm curious, does Mozilla or some responsible party examine these
programs first before they are released to the general public? Every time I
install an extension, I get a warning that it is unsigned.

=?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=

If you got them from Mozilla or a site that Mozilla.org Likes, then
it's fine.
poly-p man

Pastor Dave

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:41:35 -0400, "History Fan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:

> There are dozens and dozens of extensions available for the Firefox
>browser. I'm curious, does Mozilla or some responsible party examine these
>programs first before they are released to the general public? Every time I
>install an extension, I get a warning that it is unsigned.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It's
either digitally signed by the person who wrote it.

--

Pastor Dave

Silence in the Face of Doctrinal Criticism is Suicide

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

http://tinyurl.com/ce97m

Damian Dollahite

History Fan wrote:
> There are dozens and dozens of extensions available for the Firefox
> browser. I'm curious, does Mozilla or some responsible party examine these
> programs first before they are released to the general public? Every time I
> install an extension, I get a warning that it is unsigned.

Extensions found on addons.mozilla.org are briefly checked to make sure
they don't have any obvious problems, but other than that there isn't
currently a lot of oversight. It's something we're encouraging MoFo to
work on, but they really don't have the manpower right now to both
develop and do the extensive testing required to verify every extension
that comes down the pipe.

I believe extensionsmirror.nl also does some quality checking before
putting stuff up (and their list is much more complete than the official
site), but I doubt they're very thorough about it either.

However, don't let the lack of security certificates bother you, not
even the extensions made by Mozilla themselves are signed. Many people
have downloaded most of the available extensions, and while there have
been problems with some of them destabilizing the browser, no one's ever
reported any actual malware.

--
Ryukage

Java file extentions DGG Java 6 07-30-2005 12:38 PM
Mozilla Extentions What's in a Name? Firefox 3 03-07-2005 03:49 AM
Anywhere where you can suggest features or extentions for Firefox or Thunderbird? GraB NZ Computing 1 11-10-2004 03:37 AM
links without file extentions + browser compatability Jim Higson HTML 7 08-20-2004 12:40 PM
FireFox + extentions problems Konrad FLORCZAK Firefox 1 04-05-2004 09:34 PM

Advertisments