Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird - Newsreader Problems

Thunderbird - Newsreader Problems

Clippy

Hey

I'm currently using version 0.9 of Thunderbird but have a couple of
annoying problems that I can't seem to clear up.

Firstly blocking someone on a newsgroup - I create a filter to plonk
whoever but it doesn't seem to apply it. I've got filters set up for
e-mail which work perfectly just not on the newsgroup side.

Secondly attempting to search through newsgroups results in me receiving
the following alert: news(NNTP)error occurred: xpat not supported

Any ideas greatly received!

Thanks.
--
MSN Messenger: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Yahoo / Steam: crymealiver

"Cheese - Milk's leap toward immortality"
- Clifton Fadiman

Doug G

Clippy wrote:
> Hey
>
> I'm currently using version 0.9 of Thunderbird but have a couple of
> annoying problems that I can't seem to clear up.
>
> Firstly blocking someone on a newsgroup - I create a filter to plonk
> whoever but it doesn't seem to apply it. I've got filters set up for
> e-mail which work perfectly just not on the newsgroup side.
>
> Secondly attempting to search through newsgroups results in me receiving
> the following alert: news(NNTP)error occurred: xpat not supported
>
> Any ideas greatly received!
>
> Thanks.

News filters apply to headers downloaded after the filter is created.

Use the search bar or go offline before beginning your search.

Clippy

Doug G wrote:

> News filters apply to headers downloaded after the filter is created.
>
> Use the search bar or go offline before beginning your search.

Thanks for the info. I figured that it wouldn't block anyone already
downloaded but it's unfortunately not stopping new incoming messages either.

Thanks for the tip on searching. It works great for searching suject
and senders fields which is a bonus but it doesn't seem to do anything
when searching entire messages?

Clippy

--
MSN Messenger: (E-Mail Removed)

Clippy wrote:
> Doug G wrote:
>

>> News filters apply to headers downloaded after the filter is created.
>>
>> Use the search bar or go offline before beginning your search.

> Thanks for the info. I figured that it wouldn't block anyone already
> downloaded but it's unfortunately not stopping new incoming messages either.
>
> Thanks for the tip on searching. It works great for searching suject
> and senders fields which is a bonus but it doesn't seem to do anything
> when searching entire messages?
>
> Clippy

I use a filter to mark my posts as read. It looks like this:

Filter name: My Posts

(*) Match any of the following
Sender Contains doug g
Sender Contains doug4179

(X) Mark as read

I believe you need to download the message bodies to search for more
than the subject and sender.