Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Possible to cache MasterPage on the client?

Possible to cache MasterPage on the client?

Keith Patrick

I'd like to get some semblance of SmartNavigation-like behavior in a
MasterPage-based content navigation app (primarily the lack of "flicker") I
had it working in a version that used a MultiView instead of a true
MasterPage layout, but it wasn't conducive to the SiteMap that I use
throughout. The MasterPage paradigm is a good fit for the style of app, and
everything else works perfectly except I'd prefer to stop the flickering.
Since I can't enable SmartNav at the MasterPage level (in addition to the
attribute being marked as obsolete), is there some way to programmatically
render the page a bit more efficiently on the client if the page-to-page nav
uses the same MasterPage?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Unfortunately, I would say no. You can certainly set the images to cache,
but the actual layout bits are implemented as a user control (simple
explanation: page called, has master page, master page called, master page
embeds in contents sections). Because of the nature of browsers today, and
the nature of the master page, I cannot see a means of caching all of the
master content. If someone has a brilliant way to accomplish this, I am all
ears.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Keith Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5Y$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to get some semblance of SmartNavigation-like behavior in a
> MasterPage-based content navigation app (primarily the lack of "flicker")
> I had it working in a version that used a MultiView instead of a true
> MasterPage layout, but it wasn't conducive to the SiteMap that I use
> throughout. The MasterPage paradigm is a good fit for the style of app,
> and everything else works perfectly except I'd prefer to stop the
> flickering. Since I can't enable SmartNav at the MasterPage level (in
> addition to the attribute being marked as obsolete), is there some way to
> programmatically render the page a bit more efficiently on the client if
> the page-to-page nav uses the same MasterPage?

Brock Allen

MasterPages can't be cached in the client because they're merged together
with the ASPX on the server and rendered as a single page into the browser.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

> I'd like to get some semblance of SmartNavigation-like behavior in a
> MasterPage-based content navigation app (primarily the lack of
> "flicker") I had it working in a version that used a MultiView
> instead of a true MasterPage layout, but it wasn't conducive to the
> SiteMap that I use throughout. The MasterPage paradigm is a good fit
> for the style of app, and everything else works perfectly except I'd
> prefer to stop the flickering. Since I can't enable SmartNav at the
> MasterPage level (in addition to the attribute being marked as
> obsolete), is there some way to programmatically render the page a bit
> more efficiently on the client if the page-to-page nav uses the same
> MasterPage?

Keith Patrick

Yeah, that's what I liked about the MultiView; logically, it was all 1 page,
so SmartNav worked great (minus the "obsolete" compiler warnings).
Unfortunately, it wasn't very compatible with SiteMap stuff because it
counts on the URL for identifying the "currentNode", and you can't customize
the node resolver *after* a connected TreeView's SelectedNodeChanged event
is fired. The full page, true MasterPage usage works perfect for everything
except the flicker, but it's going to have to stay as a necessary limitation
of the page design (and there are too many issues with the MultiView and
IFrame-based implementations to make it worth it to abandon the current
design)