Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla "newsreader"

Mozilla "newsreader"

Chehsss

I just set up an account in the "mail and newsgroups" in Mozilla. When
I try to post from Moz, it won't let me (hence my posting this from
google). Also, it only downloads a small fraction of the messages and
doesn't keep threads organized very well.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Chehsss

Doug G

Chehsss wrote:
> I just set up an account in the "mail and newsgroups" in Mozilla. When
> I try to post from Moz, it won't let me (hence my posting this from
> google). Also, it only downloads a small fraction of the messages and
> doesn't keep threads organized very well.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Chehsss

Are you using Mozilla 1.7.8?
If you get an error message when you try to post, what does it say?

Try File > Get Next XXX News Messages, or try changing the "Ask me
before downloading more than XXX messages" setting in the news account's
Server Settings.

Chehsss

Doug G wrote:
> Chehsss wrote:
> > I just set up an account in the "mail and newsgroups" in Mozilla. When
> > I try to post from Moz, it won't let me (hence my posting this from
> > google). Also, it only downloads a small fraction of the messages and
> > doesn't keep threads organized very well.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks
> > Chehsss
> >

> Are you using Mozilla 1.7.8?
> If you get an error message when you try to post, what does it say?
>
> Try File > Get Next XXX News Messages, or try changing the "Ask me
> before downloading more than XXX messages" setting in the news account's
> Server Settings.

No error message. In fact it's telling me that my message was posted.
Then I look at the board on goggle, and , well, nuthin'. It's the
darnedest thing. I have the box for XXX messages unchecked completely.
It downloaded all the messages from a particular newgroup (2,293 or
so). Then, it would tell me every so often that a new message was
posted but only about 5% of them. I know this because I was using
google groups all the while. I can't figure it out.

Then, I set up OE and it downloaded the same messages and left the same
ones out!?

Does this have to do with filters that the creators of the newsgroup
can set? This particular group is self-moderated, so I don't think so,
especially since the generic Google can handle /all/ content.

Thanks
Chehsss

Chehsss

p.s. Oh sorry, Yes I am using Moz 1.7.8

Doug G

Chehsss wrote:

> Doug G wrote:
>> Chehsss wrote:
>> > I just set up an account in the "mail and newsgroups" in Mozilla. When
>> > I try to post from Moz, it won't let me (hence my posting this from
>> > google). Also, it only downloads a small fraction of the messages and
>> > doesn't keep threads organized very well.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> > Thanks
>> > Chehsss
>> >

>> Are you using Mozilla 1.7.8?
>> If you get an error message when you try to post, what does it say?
>>
>> Try File > Get Next XXX News Messages, or try changing the "Ask me
>> before downloading more than XXX messages" setting in the news account's
>> Server Settings.

> No error message. In fact it's telling me that my message was posted.
> Then I look at the board on goggle, and , well, nuthin'. It's the
> darnedest thing. I have the box for XXX messages unchecked completely.
> It downloaded all the messages from a particular newgroup (2,293 or
> so). Then, it would tell me every so often that a new message was
> posted but only about 5% of them. I know this because I was using
> google groups all the while. I can't figure it out.
>
> Then, I set up OE and it downloaded the same messages and left the same
> ones out!?
>
> Does this have to do with filters that the creators of the newsgroup
> can set? This particular group is self-moderated, so I don't think so,
> especially since the generic Google can handle /all/ content.
>
> Thanks
> Chehsss

Google Groups updates their newsgroups three or four times a day. You
may have to wait six hours before you see your posts there.

Google Groups keeps newsgroup posts forever. Ask your ISP how long its
news server retains posts. Comcast's old news server retained binary
posts about 48 hours, text posts about 6 months.

Chehsss

Doug G wrote:
> Chehsss wrote:
> >
> > Doug G wrote:

> >> Are you using Mozilla 1.7.8?
> >> If you get an error message when you try to post, what does it say?
> >>
> >> Try File > Get Next XXX News Messages, or try changing the "Ask me
> >> before downloading more than XXX messages" setting in the news account's
> >> Server Settings.

> > No error message. In fact it's telling me that my message was posted.
> > Then I look at the board on goggle, and , well, nuthin'. It's the
> > darnedest thing. I have the box for XXX messages unchecked completely.
> > It downloaded all the messages from a particular newgroup (2,293 or
> > so). Then, it would tell me every so often that a new message was
> > posted but only about 5% of them. I know this because I was using
> > google groups all the while. I can't figure it out.
> >
> > Then, I set up OE and it downloaded the same messages and left the same
> > ones out!?
> >
> > Does this have to do with filters that the creators of the newsgroup
> > can set? This particular group is self-moderated, so I don't think so,
> > especially since the generic Google can handle /all/ content.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chehsss
> >

> Google Groups updates their newsgroups three or four times a day. You
> may have to wait six hours before you see your posts there.
>
> Google Groups keeps newsgroup posts forever. Ask your ISP how long its
> news server retains posts. Comcast's old news server retained binary
> posts about 48 hours, text posts about 6 months.

No, I can carry on conversations on google almost real time. It's when
I tried Moz that the problems began. The more I look at it, the more it
seems to be the same users who get through on Moz newsreader. But all
get through immediately--according to the time signatures (in the
headers)--on google.

Thanks again

Chehsss

Nobody

On 17 Jun 2005 17:42:56 -0700, "Chehsss" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Doug G wrote:
>> Chehsss wrote:

>> > No error message. In fact it's telling me that my message was posted.
>> > Then I look at the board on goggle, and , well, nuthin'. It's the
>> > darnedest thing. I have the box for XXX messages unchecked completely.
>> > It downloaded all the messages from a particular newgroup (2,293 or
>> > so). Then, it would tell me every so often that a new message was
>> > posted but only about 5% of them. I know this because I was using
>> > google groups all the while. I can't figure it out.
>> >
>> > Then, I set up OE and it downloaded the same messages and left the same
>> > ones out!?
>> >
>> > Does this have to do with filters that the creators of the newsgroup
>> > can set? This particular group is self-moderated, so I don't think so,
>> > especially since the generic Google can handle /all/ content.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Chehsss
>> >

>> Google Groups updates their newsgroups three or four times a day. You
>> may have to wait six hours before you see your posts there.
>>
>> Google Groups keeps newsgroup posts forever. Ask your ISP how long its
>> news server retains posts. Comcast's old news server retained binary
>> posts about 48 hours, text posts about 6 months.

>No, I can carry on conversations on google almost real time. It's when
>I tried Moz that the problems began. The more I look at it, the more it
>seems to be the same users who get through on Moz newsreader. But all
>get through immediately--according to the time signatures (in the
>headers)--on google.
>
>Thanks again
>
>Chehsss

Aren't you confusing <chat> services on Google with <news groups>?

Posco

Chehsss wrote:

> Doug G wrote:
>
>>Chehsss wrote:
>>
>>>I just set up an account in the "mail and newsgroups" in Mozilla. When
>>>I try to post from Moz, it won't let me (hence my posting this from
>>>google). Also, it only downloads a small fraction of the messages and
>>>doesn't keep threads organized very well.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>>Thanks
>>>Chehsss
>>>

>>Are you using Mozilla 1.7.8?
>>If you get an error message when you try to post, what does it say?
>>
>>Try File > Get Next XXX News Messages, or try changing the "Ask me
>>before downloading more than XXX messages" setting in the news account's
>>Server Settings.

> No error message. In fact it's telling me that my message was posted.
> Then I look at the board on goggle, and , well, nuthin'. It's the
> darnedest thing. I have the box for XXX messages unchecked completely.
> It downloaded all the messages from a particular newgroup (2,293 or
> so). Then, it would tell me every so often that a new message was
> posted but only about 5% of them. I know this because I was using
> google groups all the while. I can't figure it out.
>
> Then, I set up OE and it downloaded the same messages and left the same
> ones out!?
>
> Does this have to do with filters that the creators of the newsgroup
> can set? This particular group is self-moderated, so I don't think so,
> especially since the generic Google can handle /all/ content.
>
> Thanks
> Chehsss

Are you sure that this isn't an ISP/provider rather than software? I was
missing messages using ntlworld, I have recently changed to
readfreenews.net and I am getting more messages.

Posco

Splibbilla

i haven't really read through the thread, but just use xnews.

it looks weirder than it actually is. you'll begin liking it soon.

though it's got defects like every other bit of software, or like anything or anybody!

anybody except Parker Posey. except she smokes. so yeah, everybody's imperfect.