Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Moz 1.8b1

Moz 1.8b1

Adrian

Hi ng
Just a few questions;
Has anyone used this build yet?
Did it preform well for you?
Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
What happened to 1.7.9?

Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.

TIA
-Adrian

Moz Champion

Adrian wrote:
> Hi ng
> Just a few questions;
> Has anyone used this build yet?
> Did it preform well for you?
> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
> What happened to 1.7.9?
>
> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>
> TIA
> -Adrian

Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
of new features.

The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
will carry on suite development tho.

So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
1.8 when it is released.

1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
(1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.

For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

Adrian

Moz Champion wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>
>> Hi ng
>> Just a few questions;
>> Has anyone used this build yet?
>> Did it preform well for you?
>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
>> What happened to 1.7.9?
>>
>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>>
>> TIA
>> -Adrian

> Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
> 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
> 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
> of new features.
>
> The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
> changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
> beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
> after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
> focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
> will carry on suite development tho.
>
> So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
> package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
> The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
> If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
> 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
> 1.8 when it is released.
>
> 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
> testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
> time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
> release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
> beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
> (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.

As there have been a number of Alfa releases (6?) so far,
do you think 1.8b1 is stable enough to use?
Or would you recommend against it?

> For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a

private
> group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
> to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

Some would say de-volve but thats another story.

So there is going to be a 1.8 final (MoFo supported) release then?

Thanks for the update Champ.

-Adrian

Moz Champion

Adrian wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ng
>>> Just a few questions;
>>> Has anyone used this build yet?
>>> Did it preform well for you?
>>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
>>> What happened to 1.7.9?
>>>
>>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> -Adrian

>> Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
>> 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor
>> changes
>> 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or
>> implementation of new features.
>>
>> The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
>> changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line
>> (in beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried
>> that after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite,
>> instead focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has
>> announced it will carry on suite development tho.
>>
>> So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
>> package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
>> The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
>> If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
>> 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded
>> by 1.8 when it is released.
>>
>> 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread
>> BETA testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions.
>> It, in time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then
>> 1.8 (the release version) Dependent on problems encountered there
>> may be more beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release
>> candidate releasess (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8
>> release.

> As there have been a number of Alfa releases (6?) so far,
> do you think 1.8b1 is stable enough to use?
> Or would you recommend against it?
>

> > For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private

>> group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems
>> destined to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

> Some would say de-volve but thats another story.
>
> So there is going to be a 1.8 final (MoFo supported) release then?
>
> Thanks for the update Champ.

Personally, I dont recommend beta versions to users whose primary
interest is stability. Beta releases, while in most cases suitable for
use can have glitches or bugs that would detreact from the experience.
Beta versions are for widespread testing, on users systems, so using one
would be participating in the product development.

Yes, there will be a 1.8 MoFo authorized release

Stan

Moz Champion wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
>
>> Hi ng
>> Just a few questions;
>> Has anyone used this build yet?
>> Did it preform well for you?
>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
>> What happened to 1.7.9?
>>
>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>>
>> TIA
>> -Adrian

> Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
> 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
> 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
> of new features.
>
> The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
> changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
> beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
> after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
> focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
> will carry on suite development tho.
>
> So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
> package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
> The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
> If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
> 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
> 1.8 when it is released.
>
> 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
> testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
> time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
> release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
> beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
> (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.
>
> For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
> group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
> to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

What is the best way to keep aware of what this private group is
planning and doing. Thanks.

Moz Champion

Stan wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ng
>>> Just a few questions;
>>> Has anyone used this build yet?
>>> Did it preform well for you?
>>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
>>> What happened to 1.7.9?
>>>
>>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> -Adrian

>> Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
>> 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor
>> changes
>> 1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or
>> implementation of new features.
>>
>> The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
>> changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line
>> (in beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried
>> that after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite,
>> instead focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has
>> announced it will carry on suite development tho.
>>
>> So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
>> package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
>> The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
>> If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
>> 1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded
>> by 1.8 when it is released.
>>
>> 1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread
>> BETA testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions.
>> It, in time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then
>> 1.8 (the release version) Dependent on problems encountered there
>> may be more beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release
>> candidate releasess (1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8
>> release.
>>
>> For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a
>> private group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself
>> seems destined to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

> What is the best way to keep aware of what this private group is
> planning and doing. Thanks.

At the moment I have no idea of how they will proceed and how they will
communicate or advise the public
Perhaps their webpage will be more forthcoming
http://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkeyroject_Organization

Nobody

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Adrian wrote:
>> Hi ng
>> Just a few questions;
>> Has anyone used this build yet?
>> Did it preform well for you?
>> Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
>> What happened to 1.7.9?
>>
>> Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>>
>> TIA
>> -Adrian

>Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
>1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
>1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
>of new features.
>
>The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
>changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
>beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
>after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
>focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
>will carry on suite development tho.
>
>So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
>package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
>The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
>If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
>1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
>1.8 when it is released.
>
>1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
>testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
>time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
>release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
>beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
>(1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.
>
>For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
>group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
>to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
approach.

I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
T-Bird.

Moz Champion

Nobody wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Adrian wrote:
>>
>>>Hi ng
>>>Just a few questions;
>>>Has anyone used this build yet?
>>>Did it preform well for you?
>>>Will MoFo be issuing security patches for it?
>>>What happened to 1.7.9?
>>>
>>>Hands up any one here who prefers the suite to the aviary.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>-Adrian

>>Build numbers are designed to indicate relative changes to the product.
>>1.1.2 to 1.1.3 for example would be a version with relatively minor changes
>>1.1.2 to 1.2 would indicate major changes or revisions or implementation
>>of new features.
>>
>>The Mozilla suite (1.7. was being developed with some major
>>changes/revisions and added features, hence the 1.8 development line (in
>>beta version currently). However, Mozilla.org has also decried that
>>after this version, it will no longer be developing the suite, instead
>>focusing on Firefox and Thunderbird. A private group has announced it
>>will carry on suite development tho.
>>
>>So, when 1.8 is released it will be the LAST "Mozilla.org" suite
>>package. It will be updated (for security 'patches') as neccessary.
>>The suite may live on under the aegis of the private group tho
>>If another security 'patch' becomes neccessary prior to the release of
>>1.8, then you might see a 1.7.9, which of course would be superceded by
>>1.8 when it is released.
>>
>>1.8b1 is 1.8 in BETA release (one). It is intended as a widespread BETA
>>testing product, it may or may not contain bugs or regressions. It, in
>>time, will become 1.8RC1 (release candidate one) and then 1.8 (the
>>release version) Dependent on problems encountered there may be more
>>beta releases (1.8b2, 1.8b3, etc) or more release candidate releasess
>>(1.8rc2, l.8rc3, etc) prior to the actual 1.8 release.
>>
>>For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
>>group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
>>to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

> Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
> approach.
>
> I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
> T-Bird.

Thats fine. As I mentioned there are others who are interested in the
continuation of the suite as well

Nobody wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a private
>>group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself seems destined
>>to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

> Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
> approach.
>
> I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
> T-Bird.

Ditto
-Adrian

Stubby

Adrian wrote:

> Nobody wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:08 GMT, Moz Champion
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> For those who prefer the 'suite' all-in-one approach, there is a
>>> private group forming to continue development. Mozilla.org itself
>>> seems destined to evolve into just the Firefox and Thunderbird lines.

>> Well, this user would prefer to follow developers of the "suite"
>> approach.
>>
>> I'm not impressed with Firefox, but must admit I have not tried
>> T-Bird.

Can someone explain to us, the name challenged, what Firefox and T-Bird
are and how they differ from Mozilla (suite) and Netscape 8? Why would
I pick one over the others? Thanks.