Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS 2005 web site web.config rejected by IIS as badly formed. "Child Nodes not allowed" error given.

VS 2005 web site web.config rejected by IIS as badly formed. "Child Nodes not allowed" error given.

Eric

I created a simple web site in VS 2005 and then copied it underneath the IIS
tree and created a virtual directory for it. When I try to access the
default.aspx page I get the below error text:

Note that this is the default web.config file generated by the application.
The OS is Windows Server 2003, released version of VS 2005, created an
Asp.Net file system web site that does not do anything special and deployed
it to test.

Server Error in '/Metrics2' Application.

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: Child nodes are not allowed.

Source Error:

Line 25: <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true"/>
Line 26: <pages>
Line 27: <namespaces>
Line 28: <clear/>
Line 29: <add namespace="System"/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Metrics2\web.config Line: 27

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2300

Karl Seguin

Your IIS is configured to run under ASP.Net 1.1...look at the bottom of the
error message:
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2300

There should be a tab in your IIS which lets you switch versions.

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/