Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird won't open Firefox from URL in emails

Thunderbird won't open Firefox from URL in emails

ggull

"Adam Mulvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> > Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 20:07:

> >> How do I get Thunderbird to open Firefox from a URL link in an email,
> >> rather than Internet Explorer?

> > Set Firefox as the default browser.
> >

> It is the default browser.

Are you sure Firefox was the "default browser"?
That seems to be a different concept from simply being the program used to
open html, etc, file types. That's the "file association".

You don't describe how you came to this pickle, but could it be something
like this?

I upgraded Firefox to 1.04, while keeping the old version around just in
case. I changed the file associations to the 1.04 version, and 1.04 was
used when I'd click on an html file on my desktop, say -- but whenever I'd
click on a link in email (OE) it would try to open with old version and
generate an error message (the same error msg I'd get if I tried to start
old version regular way).

Problem was solved when in Firefox I did
Tools>Options>General, Default Browser

I'm glad you found the other solution, using snapfile's DefaultBrowser.
It's really sick that there's no ready way to set the "default browser"
within Windows itself, and I'll file away the snapfiles tool for reference.

Adam Mulvey

ggull wrote:
> "Adam Mulvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
>
>>Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>>
>>>Adam Mulvey uitte de volgende tekst op 14/06/2005 20:07:

>>>Set Firefox as the default browser.
>>>

>>It is the default browser.

> Are you sure Firefox was the "default browser"?

Sorry, I'm wrong, you're right -- having double-checked, it actually
wasn't. The reason I thought it was: Explorer kept bringing up a box
saying "Explorer isn't your default browser", which led me to believe
that Firefox had changed it over automatically. Thanks for your help.

ggull wrote:
> > Are you sure Firefox was the "default browser"?

> Sorry, I'm wrong, you're right -- having double-checked, it actually
> wasn't. The reason I thought it was: Explorer kept bringing up a box
> saying "Explorer isn't your default browser", which led me to believe
> that Firefox had changed it over automatically. Thanks for your help.

Now if the damn system would just let you muck with this setting directly,
it would be a lot clearer. I had explored this on one of the microsoft
newsgroups, but no one ever really came out and said "default browser" and
"file association" were different things.

Did you install Firefox over IE, or over a previous version of Firefox?
If over IE, it's kind of weird that IE was no longer "default browser" yet
Firefox had not been made "d.b.".