Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Problems with FF1.0.4

Problems with FF1.0.4

Vartkes

I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.

(last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on my PC)

Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home page.
I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.

- I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
- I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
- I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)

Solution(s) please?

I have seen this in past threads in this news group, but cannot find it now.

Thanks in advance.

Vartkes email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Michel Doucet

Salut à toi *Vartkes*, tu nous disais ce dimanche 12/06/2005 dans
<news:42ac898a$(E-Mail Removed)> vers 21:14:22 le mélange de mots suivant :

> I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
>
> (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on my PC)
>
> Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
> does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home page.
> I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
>
> - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
> - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
> - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
>
> Solution(s) please?
>
> I have seen this in past threads in this news group, but cannot find it now.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Vartkes email: (E-Mail Removed)

Did you try by deleting XUL.mfl in the FF working directory ? You have
to close FF before deleting

--
L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
Utilisez le butineur, le lecteur de courrier et de nouvelles avec

Skeebo

Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he can to
kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

Just kidding.......

------

Skeebo wrote:
> Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he
> can to kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

Thank you. Any more bright thoughts?

Vartkes

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:22 +0200, in message
*<42ac898a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Vartkes wrote:

> I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
>
> (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on my PC)
>
> Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
> does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home page.
> I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
>
> - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
> - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
> - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
>
> Solution(s) please?

I would suggest deleting the entire contents of your cache,
something uninstalling and reinstalling won't do, because
that doesn't touch your profile(s).

If you are running Win98SE, the default location of your cache
may be something like this
"C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<*random*>.default\C ache"

--
Cheers,
Ralph

A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.

Vartkes

Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:22 +0200, in message
> <42ac898a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Vartkes wrote:
>

>> I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
>>
>> (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on
>> my PC)
>>
>> Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
>> does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home
>> page.
>> I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
>>
>> - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
>> - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
>> - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
>>
>> Solution(s) please?

> I would suggest deleting the entire contents of your cache,
> something uninstalling and reinstalling won't do, because
> that doesn't touch your profile(s).
>
> If you are running Win98SE, the default location of your cache
> may be something like this
> "C:\WINDOWS\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<*random*>.default\C ache"

Great, thanks Ralph

Vartkes

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:36:32 +0200, in message
*<42ad3872$(E-Mail Removed)>, Vartkes wrote:

> Ralph Fox wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:22 +0200, in message
> > <42ac898a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Vartkes wrote:
> >

> >> I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
> >>
> >> (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on
> >> my PC)
> >>
> >> Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
> >> does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home
> >> page.
> >> I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
> >>
> >> - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
> >> - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
> >> - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
> >>
> >> Solution(s) please?

> > I would suggest deleting the entire contents of your cache,
> > something uninstalling and reinstalling won't do, because
> > that doesn't touch your profile(s).
> >
> > If you are running Win98SE, the default location of your cache
> > may be something like this
> > "C:\WINDOWS\Application
> > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<*random*>.default\C ache"
> >

> Great, thanks Ralph

Did it fix the problem?

Skeebo

news:42ad2cfd$(E-Mail Removed)...

-
> >> ------ Vartkes email: (E-Mail Removed)

> Skeebo wrote:
> > Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he
> > can to kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

> Thank you. Any more bright thoughts?
>
> Vartkes

Well, the fact that you are running a virtually obsolete OS may have
something to do with it, but perhaps not. All I can tell you is under XP,
FF works wonderfully for me.
That bright enough for you?

Adrian

Skeebo wrote:
> "Vartkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42ad2cfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>>"Vartkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:42ac898a$(E-Mail Removed)...

> -

>>Skeebo wrote:
>>
>>>Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he
>>>can to kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

>>Thank you. Any more bright thoughts?
>>
>>Vartkes

> Well, the fact that you are running a virtually obsolete OS may have
> something to do with it, but perhaps not. All I can tell you is under XP,
> FF works wonderfully for me.
> That bright enough for you?

I am running 98se, moz 1.7.8, and updated to DX9.0c with no problems
what so ever. BTW XP will be virtually obsolete next year when longhorn
is released. "Hallow pot?... this is the kettle"
-Adrian Down Under