Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > First Ever Project - Beginner Please Help

First Ever Project - Beginner Please Help

Tarun Mistry

Hello all, im transitioning to .NET from various other languages (java, php,
c++ etc) as I need to create some web services. However before I delve into
doing so, I thought I would find some best practices.

1) I have VS 2003 installed on my machine.
2) I have a server running IIS 6.0

Is my IIS install upto date? It is sitting on windows 2003 server, do I need
to install any .net framework?

Secondly, the web server and my project can be located via
http://servername:9001/project

I attempted to create a new project via VS however it stated it was unable
to create some components, an option came up to provide a direct path to the
file location (i.e. \\server\wwwroot\project) which i did. Now VS has put
some files onto this network share but errored when doing so. Something
about critical components not installed etc...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

With kind regards
Taz

Alan Silver

>Hello all, im transitioning to .NET from various other languages (java, php,
>c++ etc) as I need to create some web services. However before I delve into
>doing so, I thought I would find some best practices.

Good idea

>1) I have VS 2003 installed on my machine.

Why not download visual web developer? It's free (for one year) from MS
and has loads more features than 2003. It also works with version 2.0 of
the framework.

>2) I have a server running IIS 6.0
>
>Is my IIS install upto date?

Assuming you have updated your machine with all the latest bits.

> It is sitting on windows 2003 server, do I need
>to install any .net framework?

If you want to stick with 1.1 then you have all you need. If you install
VWD then it will give you version 2.0, which you don't *need*, but
provides significant extra features.

>Secondly, the web server and my project can be located via
>http://servername:9001/project
>
>I attempted to create a new project via VS however it stated it was unable
>to create some components, an option came up to provide a direct path to the
>file location (i.e. \\server\wwwroot\project) which i did. Now VS has put
>some files onto this network share but errored when doing so. Something
>about critical components not installed etc...
>
>Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know about this last bit. I'm not sure what your set up is as you
mention VS putting files on a network share. That sounds like it's on
another machine. If so, are you sure that other machine has the .NET
framework installed? Is it the same version as the machine that has VS?

More to the point, why are you telling VS to put the files on a network
share? If you are running windows 2003 server, why not run the sites on
the same machine? You will save a lot of problems that way.

HTH

--
Alan Silver