Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > accessing folder outside of web root

accessing folder outside of web root

gurnandank@gmail.com

Hi,

I have a web application which uses SSL on one the folders. When I
developed application the set up was webroot and under that folder
called 'secure'.
My ISP has provided a folder called 'secure' on the server which has
shared SSL and is sitting outside of the web root, hence the set up
called 'secure' and then at the same level a folder called web root.
Now, I have two issues:

1. How can I simulate the same set up in VS.NET application and be able
to deploy application?
2. The folder called secure needs to use forms authentication and SSL.
At the moment, I have specified the following in web.config.

Code:
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="x" loginUrl="~/secure/login.aspx" path="/" />
</authentication>
What modifications would I have to do to be able to use form
authentication outside the web root.

Thanks in advance.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The most straightforward method is to use <location> tags for the type
(secure/insecure) that has the least amount of pages. The help file is
fairly good on this.

If your ISP allows subwebs, you can make another application underneath the
current application. This is even simpler (less typing). In this model, you
have a different web.config in the subweb, as it is a separate app.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a web application which uses SSL on one the folders. When I
> developed application the set up was webroot and under that folder
> called 'secure'.
> My ISP has provided a folder called 'secure' on the server which has
> shared SSL and is sitting outside of the web root, hence the set up
> called 'secure' and then at the same level a folder called web root.
> Now, I have two issues:
>
> 1. How can I simulate the same set up in VS.NET application and be able
> to deploy application?
> 2. The folder called secure needs to use forms authentication and SSL.
> At the moment, I have specified the following in web.config.

Code:
<authentication mode="Forms">
> <forms name="x" loginUrl="~/secure/login.aspx" path="/" />
> </authentication>
>
> What modifications would I have to do to be able to use form
> authentication outside the web root.
>
> Thanks in advance.

teclioness

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply, but this is a totally new scenario for
me. As I mentioned, The structure as I see on my ISP server is:
- secure
- webroot

And in my visual studio.net app, the structure is :
-webroot
- secure
Can I still maintain the same structure, compile my application and
deploy or as you suggested in your second option "make another
application underneath the current application".

Moreover, I need to maintain my session variable across these two
folders.

Please advise, how this can be achieved.

Thanks