Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Beginner needing info on CSS and Javascript as it relates to ASP.net

Beginner needing info on CSS and Javascript as it relates to ASP.net

Jozef

Hello,

I have done a little "old" ASP work along with some javascript. I'm
currently getting into ASP.net and would like to step up my game overall
with regard to Web Development. I was looking at delving into Javascript
and CSS a little more, but I'm not clear on it's relationship with ASP.net.
Are they still useful in a .net environment or does a lot of .net
functionality replace CSS and Javascript?

Any help on the subject would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!

clintonG

No not useful -- critical -- especially with ASP.NET 2.0. So consider some
words of wisdom. All web developers who hope to master web development must
master client-side scripting which as it turns out must be written using
JavaScript and JavaScript as it turns out was derived from C. Nothing
dynamic happens in the browser without a mastery of CSS and JavaScript both
of which may be mutually exclusive of the other depending on the
circumstances.

This suggests adopting C# for ASP.NET server-side development as all
languages derived from C share the same syntax and grammar. I call it the
"341 Philosophy." A developer can learn three languages for the price of
one: JavaScript, C# and Java can all be read and understood when any one of
those three languages have been learned and mastered.

The VB syntax continues to be sloppy and verbose but there is something to
be said that it may be a teeny bit more productive to use as there can be
circumstances that require writing less code but I consider this marginal
when considering the big picture. There are a few VB coders who can hack
client-side development but by and large it seems most are light in the
pants when it comes to client-side scripting. That was me as a matter of
fact and once I understood why I was light in the pants I adopted C# and my
coding is getting better and better faster and faster.

As for CSS as it applies to ASP.NET 2.0 (which is now the current release)
you will need to know quite a bit of CSS when using Themes. As I've also
said, client-side scripting is also critical to master and there are
server-side statements you'll also have to learn to emit Javascript using
your server-side code.

Finally, reading your question at face value you it seems you still do not
fully understand the difference between client-side scripting and
server-side development. You need to do more study on this. Chalk it up to
learning ASP when everything was dumped into the page like a bowl of
spaghetti. Object Oriented Programming (OOP) is entirely different and it is
OOP you need to learn and master if you intend to use ASP.NET to develop web
applications.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"Jozef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have done a little "old" ASP work along with some javascript. I'm
> currently getting into ASP.net and would like to step up my game overall
> with regard to Web Development. I was looking at delving into Javascript
> and CSS a little more, but I'm not clear on it's relationship with
> ASP.net. Are they still useful in a .net environment or does a lot of .net
> functionality replace CSS and Javascript?
>
> Any help on the subject would be greatly appreicated.
>
> Thanks!

Jozef

Thanks Clinton, I'm a VB / Database guy currently. The three tools to me
all seem "critical", but with my lack of in depth understanding of ASP.net,
I thought there could be something in it that may rule one, the other or
both obsolete. I hate learning things when I dont' have to.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't spinning my wheels by taking on both
Javascript and CSS.

Thanks again!

"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No not useful -- critical -- especially with ASP.NET 2.0. So consider some
> words of wisdom. All web developers who hope to master web development
> must master client-side scripting which as it turns out must be written
> using JavaScript and JavaScript as it turns out was derived from C.
> Nothing dynamic happens in the browser without a mastery of CSS and
> JavaScript both of which may be mutually exclusive of the other depending
> on the circumstances.
>
> This suggests adopting C# for ASP.NET server-side development as all
> languages derived from C share the same syntax and grammar. I call it the
> "341 Philosophy." A developer can learn three languages for the price of
> one: JavaScript, C# and Java can all be read and understood when any one
> of those three languages have been learned and mastered.
>
> The VB syntax continues to be sloppy and verbose but there is something to
> be said that it may be a teeny bit more productive to use as there can be
> circumstances that require writing less code but I consider this marginal
> when considering the big picture. There are a few VB coders who can hack
> client-side development but by and large it seems most are light in the
> pants when it comes to client-side scripting. That was me as a matter of
> fact and once I understood why I was light in the pants I adopted C# and
> my coding is getting better and better faster and faster.
>
> As for CSS as it applies to ASP.NET 2.0 (which is now the current release)
> you will need to know quite a bit of CSS when using Themes. As I've also
> said, client-side scripting is also critical to master and there are
> server-side statements you'll also have to learn to emit Javascript using
> your server-side code.
>
> Finally, reading your question at face value you it seems you still do not
> fully understand the difference between client-side scripting and
> server-side development. You need to do more study on this. Chalk it up to
> learning ASP when everything was dumped into the page like a bowl of
> spaghetti. Object Oriented Programming (OOP) is entirely different and it
> is OOP you need to learn and master if you intend to use ASP.NET to
> develop web applications.
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
> METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service"
> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
> URL http://metromilwaukee.com/
>

> "Jozef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have done a little "old" ASP work along with some javascript. I'm
>> currently getting into ASP.net and would like to step up my game overall
>> with regard to Web Development. I was looking at delving into Javascript
>> and CSS a little more, but I'm not clear on it's relationship with
>> ASP.net. Are they still useful in a .net environment or does a lot of
>> .net functionality replace CSS and Javascript?
>>
>> Any help on the subject would be greatly appreicated.
>>
>> Thanks!

Bob Lehmann

Aside from for loop constructs, case-sensitivity and curly braces, C#,
JavaScript and Java have virtually nothing in common.

Let's see....
I know Javascript, therefore the .Net framework should be a snap if I use
C#.
I know Javascript, therefore the libraries in Java should be easy. And
forget the seemingly endless Java frameworks - Spring, Swing, Struts. Oh,
and then there's Tomcat, JBoss, Hibernate, blah, blah, blah.

If you you want to make generalizations - and I know that's your tendancy -,
Clinton, maybe just saying that if you know how to program, you can probably
learn JavaScript would be sufficient.

Bob Lehmann

> [...]

web
> applications.
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
> METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service"
> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
> URL http://metromilwaukee.com/
>

> "Jozef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have done a little "old" ASP work along with some javascript. I'm
> > currently getting into ASP.net and would like to step up my game overall
> > with regard to Web Development. I was looking at delving into

Javascript
> > and CSS a little more, but I'm not clear on it's relationship with
> > ASP.net. Are they still useful in a .net environment or does a lot of

..net
> > functionality replace CSS and Javascript?
> >
> > Any help on the subject would be greatly appreicated.

clintonG

Its a matter of syntax and grammar that the three languages share and that's
all I've had to say. I think people who have acceptable reading
comprehension skills can make that distinction.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

"Bob Lehmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> applications.
>>
>> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>> METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service"
>> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
>> URL http://metromilwaukee.com/
>> URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
>>

>> "Jozef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have done a little "old" ASP work along with some javascript. I'm
>> > currently getting into ASP.net and would like to step up my game
>> > overall
>> > with regard to Web Development. I was looking at delving into

> Javascript
>> > and CSS a little more, but I'm not clear on it's relationship with
>> > ASP.net. Are they still useful in a .net environment or does a lot of

> .net
>> > functionality replace CSS and Javascript?
>> >
>> > Any help on the subject would be greatly appreicated.

Bob Lehmann

hmmm...

**
Clinton said.....
JavaScript, C# and Java can all be read and understood when any one of
those three languages have been learned and mastered.
**

What nuance of language could interpret the above, from your "341
Philosophy", any differently than I did? As I said, curly braces and
case-sensitivity don't make one all-knowing across languages.

I suppose you think that knowing about commas and periods enables an English
speaking person to understand Italian.

Bob Lehmann