Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Netscape vs. Mozilla

Netscape vs. Mozilla

Santa Clause

I was under the impression that the Mozilla Suite is the same as
Netscape. exp. Mozilla 1.78 is Netscape 7.8. How does Netscape have
8.0 out now.

Azriel

Santa Clause a écrit :
> I was under the impression that the Mozilla Suite is the same as
> Netscape. exp. Mozilla 1.78 is Netscape 7.8. How does Netscape have
> 8.0 out now.

Forget netscape 8 , it is a craddle of problem

azriel
http://okedomia.blogspot.com

=?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=

Azriel wrote:
> Santa Clause a écrit :
> > I was under the impression that the Mozilla Suite is the same as
> > Netscape. exp. Mozilla 1.78 is Netscape 7.8. How does Netscape have
> > 8.0 out now.

> Forget netscape 8 , it is a craddle of problem
>
> azriel
> http://okedomia.blogspot.com

netscape bases off of Moz, 'cept without all the features. There is no
direst numbering scheme like that. (even if there were, Moz 1.8 Beta is
out.)

poly-p man

Moz Champion

Santa Clause wrote:
> I was under the impression that the Mozilla Suite is the same as
> Netscape. exp. Mozilla 1.78 is Netscape 7.8. How does Netscape have
> 8.0 out now.

A short course in history

In the beginning, there was Mosaic, a web browser

Several people took that program and produced Netscape Navigator
they formed a company called Netscape Communications to make it.

Netscape Corporation decided to include multiple programs in one, a
browser, an email/news client, and a web page composer.
They called this program Netscape Communicator.

Microsoft meanwhile had started Internet Explorer, yet another web browser.
Microsoft decided to include IE with every system it sold

Netscape Corporation, to compete, had to 'give away' its main program,
Netscape Communicator.

Knowing that Netscape Communicator would need to be updated, yet with
no 'income' from sales of such, Netscape Corporation was in a dilemma.
How to spend millions of dollars to create a new, updated program when
there was no hope of recouping the cost of such?
Netscape Corporation decided to go 'open source' (much like how Linux
was created) and even released its code for Netscape Communicator to
start the ball rolling. It created a not-for-profit company, called
Mozilla.org to assist in the development.

Mozilla.org started off attempting to 'update' code based on Netscape
Communicator. But it was discovered that programmers had to spend as
much time 'understanding' how the complex Communicator code worked than
actually working on new features or updates.
So Mozilla.org decided to throw everything away and start anew, from the
beginning.

It was at this point that AOL and Sun purchased Netscape Corporation for
billions of dollars.

Mozilla.org created the Gecko engine, and developed a 'suite' program
(much like the old Netscape Communicator), that combined a browser,
email/news client and a composer.

AOL (owning Netscape now) decided that a 'new' version of Netscape would
be released, based on the Mozilla .9x code. They called this Netscape 6.
It was pretty much a dismal failure, simply because the Mozilla code
was still in beta mode. Netscape 6 was basically Mozilla .9x plus some
AOL add-ons (AIM and Netscape webmail in particular)

Mozilla forged on, and released a 1x version of its program. This was
much better than earlier versions of course (which were beta releases
after all). AOL decided to release a Netscape based on this program as
well, they called it Netscape 7. It was again, the base Mozilla code
plus some AOL tidbits (AIM and Netscape Webmail in particular).

AOL then decided to actually 'kill' Netscape and fired all the remaining
employees who were working on anything but the web portal. Later on, it
re-hired some of those employees temporarily to produce a updated
Netscape (7.2) based on Mozilla 1.4. It then seemingly abandoned the
product.

Mozilla org carried on and developed Mozilla (the suite) up to version
1.7.8. But, in addition, it also decided to 'split' the program into
components and develop each component on its own. Thus Firefox (nee
Phoenix, then Firebird) and Thunderbird were born. Both components have
developed into programs on their own. Recently, Mozilla.org decided to
stop development on the 'suite' idea, and concentrate on the individual
programs.

AOL, owing the Netscape 'name' and brand that it payed billions of
dollars for, has tried various things to take advantage of such and get
some return for its investment. They created the 'Netscape' ISP for
example. AOL then decided to take advantage of the 'free' program
Firefox and produce a browser based on it. They wanted a
replacement/alternative for AOL customers currently using their program
based on IE. So they hired some folks who were familiar with Firefox
and produced Netscape 8.

Netscape 8 is simply a browser with add-ons to adapt it to the AOL system
Netscape 8 is NOT a replacement for Netscape 7 (it doesnt do email/news
for example)
Netscape 8 is NOT an update to Netscape 7
Netscape 8 doesnt come in Macintosh or Linux versions
Netscape 8 is intended as a replacement/alternative for users of AOL's
IE based program

So today, you have choices.
Netscape Communicator
The original 'suite' program. Outdated and not compatible
with many of the features on the web now.
Netscape 7
A 'suite' program based on Mozilla 1.4 with some AOL tidbits
added. Out of development now and has been for some time. Lacks several
of the security enhancements and features (not to mention the bug fixes)
available in the Mozilla suite
Mozilla 1.7.8
The 'suite' program, that is no longer being actively developed
by Mozilla.org. However some proponents of the suite style have formed
a group to continue development.
Firefox
A browser only program that has seriously taken some users away
from Microsoft IE. In development
Thunderbird
An email/news program. In development
Netscape 8
A browser only program based on Firefox with some AOL System
enhancements added. Given AOL's poor track record of updating previous
versions of Netscape as the base product (Mozilla org produced) was
changed, the jury is still out as to whether this will be an ongoing
program or not.

John Thompson

On 2005-06-07, Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Santa Clause wrote:
>> I was under the impression that the Mozilla Suite is the same as
>> Netscape. exp. Mozilla 1.78 is Netscape 7.8. How does Netscape have
>> 8.0 out now.

> A short course in history
>
> In the beginning, there was Mosaic, a web browser
>
> Several people took that program and produced Netscape Navigator
> they formed a company called Netscape Communications to make it.

IIRC, the people who started Netscape had also been involved in the
development of Mosaic at the University of Illinois in Champaign, but left
to form Netscape as a business.

> Microsoft meanwhile had started Internet Explorer, yet another web browser.

Microsoft licensed the Spyglass browser technology to form the basis of
Internet Explorer. After ignoring the growing importance of the Internet
for several years, the success of Netscape made them sit up and take
notice. The Spyglass license (still present in the "Help...About screen of
IE) was taken to jump-start Microsoft's entry into Internet software.

> Microsoft decided to include IE with every system it sold
>
> Netscape Corporation, to compete, had to 'give away' its main program,
> Netscape Communicator.

And despite being found guilty of abusing their monopoly position in this
manner, essentially nothing was done to Microsoft as a result.

> It was at this point that AOL and Sun purchased Netscape Corporation for
> billions of dollars.

AOL purchased the browser, and Sun purchased the web server.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))