Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > I love Firefox....help !!

I love Firefox....help !!

Tull

I had ignored Mozilla stuff for a while....was happy with OE and Avant
Browser. But friends got me to try Thunderbird and Firefox. When I
discovered the ever growing number of available extensions, I am now
hooked. Problem is that Firefox crashes on me periodically...most often
when I do a Ctrl-T to open a new tab and start typing a new url. Or if I
open Google and start typing a search string. I get the microsoft
dialog box that says that firefox has had an error and needs to
close...then gives me the option to report the incident, which I usually do.

I have a fresh install of XP Pro, fully patched at windowsupdate. Using
the default XP firewall and AVG antivirus. 768 of PC2700 DDR memory and
a fairly fast AMD chip on an MSI motherboard. I have a bunch of
extensions installed in Firefox. Other programs that load into the task
bar are messenger, roboform, TimeCalendar, hard drive light and
autosizer. Usually Thunderbird is open at the same time, but it never
crashes. mIRC never crashes either. Come to think of it, Firefox is
the only program that does crash on me.

How do I find out what is causing the crash? Or what other processes
might be conflicting? I love this new Firefox and would hate to see a
need to go back to the IE engine.

Help !! (Thanks in advance)

Doug G

Tull wrote:
> I had ignored Mozilla stuff for a while....was happy with OE and Avant
> Browser. But friends got me to try Thunderbird and Firefox. When I
> discovered the ever growing number of available extensions, I am now
> hooked. Problem is that Firefox crashes on me periodically...most often
> when I do a Ctrl-T to open a new tab and start typing a new url. Or if I
> open Google and start typing a search string. I get the microsoft
> dialog box that says that firefox has had an error and needs to
> close...then gives me the option to report the incident, which I usually do.
>
> I have a fresh install of XP Pro, fully patched at windowsupdate. Using
> the default XP firewall and AVG antivirus. 768 of PC2700 DDR memory and
> a fairly fast AMD chip on an MSI motherboard. I have a bunch of
> extensions installed in Firefox. Other programs that load into the task
> bar are messenger, roboform, TimeCalendar, hard drive light and
> autosizer. Usually Thunderbird is open at the same time, but it never
> crashes. mIRC never crashes either. Come to think of it, Firefox is
> the only program that does crash on me.
>
> How do I find out what is causing the crash? Or what other processes
> might be conflicting? I love this new Firefox and would hate to see a
> need to go back to the IE engine.
>
> Help !! (Thanks in advance)

If you run Firefox in Safe Mode and it doesn't crash, you probably
installed a theme or extension that isn't compatible with the version of
Firefox you installed. Themes and extensions are disabled when Firefox
is run in Safe Mode.

What version of Firefox are you using? Firefox 1.0.4 is the latest.

Tull

I'll investigate the range of extensions I've installed. I'm using the
latest 1.04. I downloaded some themes, but went back to the default.
Thanks.

Doug G wrote:
> Tull wrote:
>
>> I had ignored Mozilla stuff for a while....was happy with OE and Avant
>> Browser. But friends got me to try Thunderbird and Firefox. When I
>> discovered the ever growing number of available extensions, I am now
>> hooked. Problem is that Firefox crashes on me periodically...most
>> often when I do a Ctrl-T to open a new tab and start typing a new url.
>> Or if I open Google and start typing a search string. I get the
>> microsoft dialog box that says that firefox has had an error and needs
>> to close...then gives me the option to report the incident, which I
>> usually do.
>>
>> I have a fresh install of XP Pro, fully patched at windowsupdate.
>> Using the default XP firewall and AVG antivirus. 768 of PC2700 DDR
>> memory and a fairly fast AMD chip on an MSI motherboard. I have a
>> bunch of extensions installed in Firefox. Other programs that load
>> into the task bar are messenger, roboform, TimeCalendar, hard drive
>> light and autosizer. Usually Thunderbird is open at the same time,
>> but it never crashes. mIRC never crashes either. Come to think of
>> it, Firefox is the only program that does crash on me.
>>
>> How do I find out what is causing the crash? Or what other processes
>> might be conflicting? I love this new Firefox and would hate to see a
>> need to go back to the IE engine.
>>
>> Help !! (Thanks in advance)

> If you run Firefox in Safe Mode and it doesn't crash, you probably
> installed a theme or extension that isn't compatible with the version of
> Firefox you installed. Themes and extensions are disabled when Firefox
> is run in Safe Mode.
>
> What version of Firefox are you using? Firefox 1.0.4 is the latest.

The One

"Tull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had ignored Mozilla stuff for a while....was happy with OE and Avant
> Browser. But friends got me to try Thunderbird and Firefox. When I
> discovered the ever growing number of available extensions, I am now
> hooked. Problem is that Firefox crashes on me periodically...most often
> when I do a Ctrl-T to open a new tab and start typing a new url. Or if I
> open Google and start typing a search string. I get the microsoft
> dialog box that says that firefox has had an error and needs to
> close...then gives me the option to report the incident, which I usually

do.

> I have a fresh install of XP Pro, fully patched at windowsupdate. Using
> the default XP firewall and AVG antivirus. 768 of PC2700 DDR memory and
> a fairly fast AMD chip on an MSI motherboard. I have a bunch of
> extensions installed in Firefox. Other programs that load into the task
> bar are messenger, roboform, TimeCalendar, hard drive light and
> autosizer. Usually Thunderbird is open at the same time, but it never
> crashes. mIRC never crashes either. Come to think of it, Firefox is
> the only program that does crash on me.
>
> How do I find out what is causing the crash? Or what other processes
> might be conflicting? I love this new Firefox and would hate to see a
> need to go back to the IE engine.
>
> Help !! (Thanks in advance)

Worth reinstalling XP just so Firefox would run properly LOL.

Jowah

Tull wrote:
> I had ignored Mozilla stuff for a while....was happy with OE and Avant
> Browser. But friends got me to try Thunderbird and Firefox. When I
> discovered the ever growing number of available extensions, I am now
> hooked. Problem is that Firefox crashes on me periodically...most often
> when I do a Ctrl-T to open a new tab and start typing a new url. Or if I
> open Google and start typing a search string. I get the microsoft
> dialog box that says that firefox has had an error and needs to
> close...then gives me the option to report the incident, which I usually
> do.
>
> I have a fresh install of XP Pro, fully patched at windowsupdate. Using
> the default XP firewall and AVG antivirus. 768 of PC2700 DDR memory and
> a fairly fast AMD chip on an MSI motherboard. I have a bunch of
> extensions installed in Firefox. Other programs that load into the task
> bar are messenger, roboform, TimeCalendar, hard drive light and
> autosizer. Usually Thunderbird is open at the same time, but it never
> crashes. mIRC never crashes either. Come to think of it, Firefox is
> the only program that does crash on me.
>
> How do I find out what is causing the crash? Or what other processes
> might be conflicting? I love this new Firefox and would hate to see a
> need to go back to the IE engine.
>
> Help !! (Thanks in advance)

If you cant find the offending extension...try creating a new FF profile.

Tull

Found it!! Unfortunately it is one of my favorite extensions. It's
that one called "No Script", which lets you create a white list of sites
that you will allow javascript to run. As soon as I uninstalled it, the
problem went away. Thanks for steering me toward checking them....I was
figuring it was a M$ problem.