Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > AXD 404 File or Directory Not Found Error

AXD 404 File or Directory Not Found Error

Brent Martin

Been struggling with the following for awhile. If anyone could lead
me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it...

We have an IIS web server that returns a "404" error whenever a file
with an ".axd" extension is requested (trace.axd, webresource.axd,
etc...). We originally had the .NET 2.0 Beta 2 Framework installed on
it (and had this problem back then), and recently upgraded to the
final 2.0 release--hoping that it would fix the problem (but it
didn't). We have three other web servers with similar setups, and they
work fine.

In IIS Manager, I've verified that the ".axd" application extension's
option "Check that file exists" is unchecked. We're not doing anything
with HTTP compression. We haven't made any wildcard application
mappings. Any ideas on where else I should look to get the server to
return ".axd" files?

Thanks...

epi_boy epi_boy is offline
Junior Member

I tried a lot of the different options for fixing this which you can find on-line.

The only thing that finally fix this problem for me, was to uncheck the "Verify that file exists" check box for the Wildcard entry I had under IIS Properties for the site>Home directory>Configuration...>"Edit" on the entries for the wildcard entries>Uncheck the check box.

To me it does not make sense that wildcard would overrule the specific entry that states that AXD files should be loaded as such.. (stated in the Application extensions section above) But it seems to do so anyway.

This saved my day that is for sure!

Good luck out there!

EPi_Boy