Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Large Blank Space on the Screen

Large Blank Space on the Screen

=?Utf-8?B?QW1pcg==?=

I really hope someone can explain this behavior. I have spend quite a bit of
time and tried a bunch of things, so far nothing has worked.

I have a page on which I have a datagrid with template columns. I
perform regular expression validations in the EditItemTemplate for the
fields that require such validation. The datagrid is inside a div tag
to make it scrollable. I have implemented the solution to freeze header
for this grid - the approach I followed accesses the <th> tag exposed
by Datagrid when it is rendered (using UseAccessibleHeader attribute).

Also, there are columns in the screen that show buttons. When users click on
those buttons, they see popups to enter information. Once they enter the
information (which can span multiple lines) and close a popup, the
inforamation from the popup is displayed in a cell/column (next to the button
user clicked) inside the datagrid.

So here is my problem. When the page loads the first time, this is what
users see:

[page header]
[a few textboxes with validations - serve as the global information for
the grid]
[a few buttons]
[Datagrid inside div tag]
[a few buttons]
[page footer]

When users enter the edit mode and trigger a regular expression validation
in any cell OR when they enter information in the popup that spans multiple
lines, this
is what users see:

[page header]
[a few textboxes with validations - serve as the global information for
the grid]
[a few buttons]
[A LARGE BLANK SPACE]
[Datagrid inside div tag]
[a few buttons]
[page footer]

So the datagrid basically shifts downward. When there is a lot of data
in the datagrid, one has to scroll down on the page to find the
datagrid because the blank space is so large.

When I look at the source of the page, I do not see anything there that
would explain this blank space. I have compared the source files both before
and after the validation, the files are identical. There appears to be
nothing in the source that would explain this large space.

Users run it on IE 6.

If anyone has seen this problem, can explain why this may be happening,
or can suggest a solution, please help!

Regards,

Amir

Tim Cartwright

Not sure this is much help, but try installing this, to help identify what
that white space is :

Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

goli55@gmail.com

Tim Cartwright wrote:
> Not sure this is much help, but try installing this, to help identify what
> that white space is :
>
> Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar
>
> "Amir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I really hope someone can explain this behavior. I have spend quite a bit
> >of
> > time and tried a bunch of things, so far nothing has worked.
> >
> > I have a page on which I have a datagrid with template columns. I
> > perform regular expression validations in the EditItemTemplate for the
> > fields that require such validation. The datagrid is inside a div tag
> > to make it scrollable. I have implemented the solution to freeze header
> > for this grid - the approach I followed accesses the <th> tag exposed
> > by Datagrid when it is rendered (using UseAccessibleHeader attribute).
> >
> > Also, there are columns in the screen that show buttons. When users click
> > on
> > those buttons, they see popups to enter information. Once they enter the
> > information (which can span multiple lines) and close a popup, the
> > inforamation from the popup is displayed in a cell/column (next to the
> > button
> > user clicked) inside the datagrid.
> >
> > So here is my problem. When the page loads the first time, this is what
> > users see:
> >
> > [page header]
> > [a few textboxes with validations - serve as the global information for
> > the grid]
> > [a few buttons]
> > [Datagrid inside div tag]
> > [a few buttons]
> > [page footer]
> >

> > When users enter the edit mode and trigger a regular expression validation
> > in any cell OR when they enter information in the popup that spans
> > multiple
> > lines, this
> > is what users see:
> >

> > [page header]
> > [a few textboxes with validations - serve as the global information for
> > the grid]
> > [a few buttons]
> > [A LARGE BLANK SPACE]
> > [Datagrid inside div tag]
> > [a few buttons]
> > [page footer]
> >

> > So the datagrid basically shifts downward. When there is a lot of data
> > in the datagrid, one has to scroll down on the page to find the
> > datagrid because the blank space is so large.
> >

> > When I look at the source of the page, I do not see anything there that
> > would explain this blank space. I have compared the source files both
> > before
> > and after the validation, the files are identical. There appears to be
> > nothing in the source that would explain this large space.
> >
> > Users run it on IE 6.
> >

> > If anyone has seen this problem, can explain why this may be happening,
> > or can suggest a solution, please help!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Amir

Hi , if you use horizontalalign in the datagrid attributes then try to
remove it.