Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox and spyware???

Firefox and spyware???

iamu@me.com

Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
Avenue A.
Bfast
Click Agents
Double Click
Fast Click
Hitbox
Media Plex
Web Trends Live

Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?

Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

Cheers

Splibbilla

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) in news:04Rne.1550901$Xk.1121841@pd7tw3no:

> Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently
> downloaded
>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
> whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
> Avenue A.
> Bfast
> Click Agents
> Double Click
> Fast Click
> Hitbox
> Media Plex
> Web Trends Live
>

> Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these
> permanently?? They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does
> look as if maybe their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

most immediate is to set cookies to "ask" in your FF options.

lots of people like adblock extension, and people "collect" additional entries to block.

but
1a www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts2.htm
(btw, spybot install offers to add a few lines to your HOSTS)
1b can use marron's hostess "free ad-blocking hosts file maintenance utility."
accs-net.com/hostess/
to manage/update HOSTS entries. you might be able to setup an download manager to drop the updated HOSTS.zip to
your chosen Dump folder. Hostess's "Import" command retains that location. pretty simple once you work out your setup.

2 proxomitron (proxo "freaks" create and collect more rules, but i don't understand proxo that well, beyond adding a
few domains to the blocklist. proxo works well in standard setup.)

both HOSTS and proxomitron work for all browsers, and block a lot of junk (more than just cookies? I'm actually not sure
exactly which layer of defenses are blocking what.)

default

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
>whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
>Avenue A.
>Bfast
>Click Agents
>Double Click
>Fast Click
>Hitbox
>Media Plex
>Web Trends Live
>

>Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
>They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
>their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
>
>Cheers

Those are tracking cookies.

Go to tools, options, privacy and look at the stored cookies (after
visiting sites that set those cookies) Check the box that says "Don't
allow sites that set removed cookies to set future cookies." Then
remove the offending cookies.

And/Or look at the "exceptions" menu and put those sites in there to
never accept cookies.

Checking the box: set cookies "for originating web site only." May
eliminate some tracking cookies.

And "keep cookies until I close firefox" works wonders . . . the only
downside is that some websites do use cookies to personalize surfing
(the purpose for which cookies were intended) and those would go away
each time FF closed (but still lets you use the sites with cookies
enabled - so you can surf and shop) That problem could be handled by
making an "allow" exception to those sites.

Check out your flash player settings also. They set cookies that FF
and spybot won't touch. See:
http://www.internetweek.com/showArti...leID=160400749

While your monkeying about with flash - you might check to see if they
can access any camera or microphone plugged into your computer (no
kidding - that is an option, but I forget if the default is on or off)

My wife uses the flash player, plug in, and FF has a Flash blocker
extension that will only allow flash to play on demand. I forget all
the details. I eliminated flash from my system - plenty of other
players can handle the downloaded flash files - and I don't see the
need to be bombarded with a lot of glitzy advertising when I visit a
website. Half the time I surf with images disabled to avoid the hype.

default

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
>whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
>Avenue A.
>Bfast
>Click Agents
>Double Click
>Fast Click
>Hitbox
>Media Plex
>Web Trends Live
>

>Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
>They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
>their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
>
>Cheers

Something else if you want to get geeky about spyware . . .

alt.privacy.spyware newsgroup has an FAQ posted with links to more
than you ever wanted to know about it.

Message ID:
MrRne.279214$(E-Mail Removed)

Title : The FAQ for <alt.privacy.spyware>
Author: shplink
Date: 6/3/05

Lou

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
>whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
>Avenue A.
>Bfast
>Click Agents
>Double Click
>Fast Click
>Hitbox
>Media Plex
>Web Trends Live
>

>Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
>They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
>their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
>
>Cheers

Running an efficient "Hosts" file should take care of your problems.
I have run a "Hosts" for years now and have little to no problems.

I recommend you read up the following pages:

What is the Hosts file?
http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts file
http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

ggull

Thanks for these hints, default. I've been looking for a way to keep
cookies I want (log in to xxx website stuff, especially now that so many
newspapers demand it), yet get rid of the day-to-day trash that accumulates
if you allow them at all.

Following your second hint, does an "allow" exception meant that that site's
cookies will be retained when I close firefox, and cookies from un-excepted
sites will get trashed? I guess I'll try it, but just don't get to those
sites every day.

"default" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >

> Go to tools, options, privacy and look at the stored cookies (after
> visiting sites that set those cookies) Check the box that says "Don't
> allow sites that set removed cookies to set future cookies." Then
> remove the offending cookies.

> And "keep cookies until I close firefox" works wonders . . . the only
> downside is that some websites do use cookies to personalize surfing
> (the purpose for which cookies were intended) and those would go away
> each time FF closed (but still lets you use the sites with cookies
> enabled - so you can surf and shop) That problem could be handled by
> making an "allow" exception to those sites.

Gordon Abbot

Splibbilla wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) in news:04Rne.1550901$Xk.1121841@pd7tw3no:
>

>>Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently
>>downloaded
>>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
>>whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
>>Avenue A.
>>Bfast
>>Click Agents
>>Double Click
>>Fast Click
>>Hitbox
>>Media Plex
>>Web Trends Live
>>

>>Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these
>>permanently?? They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does
>>look as if maybe their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>>
>>Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

> most immediate is to set cookies to "ask" in your FF options.
>

> lots of people like adblock extension, and people "collect" additional entries to block.
>

> but
> 1a www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts2.htm
> (btw, spybot install offers to add a few lines to your HOSTS)
> 1b can use marron's hostess "free ad-blocking hosts file maintenance utility."
> accs-net.com/hostess/
> to manage/update HOSTS entries. you might be able to setup an download manager to drop the updated HOSTS.zip to
> your chosen Dump folder. Hostess's "Import" command retains that location. pretty simple once you work out your setup.
>
> 2 proxomitron (proxo "freaks" create and collect more rules, but i don't understand proxo that well, beyond adding a
> few domains to the blocklist. proxo works well in standard setup.)
>
> both HOSTS and proxomitron work for all browsers, and block a lot of junk (more than just cookies? I'm actually not sure
> exactly which layer of defenses are blocking what.)

Also, use SBSD's immunize function. it will keep them away.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Colyn

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
>whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
>Avenue A.
>Bfast
>Click Agents
>Double Click
>Fast Click
>Hitbox
>Media Plex
>Web Trends Live
>

>Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
>They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
>their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

Using a Firefox didn't let the spyware in. FF defaults to allow all
cookies just like IE does on install. You went to sites that set or
allowed others to set these cookies and you would have had the same
problem with IE or any other browser.

The best defence is to modify your cookies settings and use a good
spyware program such as spybot.

Be sure to set cookies to accept only from the site you are on and to
dump cookies when closing FF..

None of the cookies you listed above are harmful. They are the usual
cookies set by various sites such as eBay (double click)..

--
Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Moz Champion

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
> "Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
> whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
> Avenue A.
> Bfast
> Click Agents
> Double Click
> Fast Click
> Hitbox
> Media Plex
> Web Trends Live
>

> Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
> They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
> their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
>
> Cheers

Cookies are not 'spyware'. Ignore them.

iamu@me.com

They do not block them! They keep coming back up once I start to use FF
browser. This is very frustrating as I had no problem with the previous
version of Spybot.