Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox / javascript

Firefox / javascript

Jive Dadson

There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to let
javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open is
www.ebay.com.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix it?

I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.

Thanks

Jive Dadson

P.s. The symptom is that Firefox makes no progress after a point.
Sometimes it displays some of the page, but eventually the progress
bar freezes. Firefox is alive and well though. I can cancel the
download with the red X and continue right along.

Moz Champion

Jive Dadson wrote:
> I have more evidence now. Did I mention that I'm running Firefox
>

> "Jive Dadson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cTLne.153342$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
>>Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
>>re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
>>javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to let
>>javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open

> is
>
>>www.ebay.com.
>>
>>Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix

> it?
>
>>I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> When I attempt to open www.ebay.com, I get an error message in the
> java console window, always the same. It appears that the script is
> getting truncated somehow. The text of it is below.
>
> Now I find that occasionally the ebay start page loads partially.
> However, when I try to log-in to ebay, I get a pop-up that says,
> "signin.ebay.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
> again." I have gotten similar messages when clicking on links at
> other sites, such as craigslist. If I just type in the URL, often I
> can go there. In the case of signin.ebay.com, I get a message
> saying that I don't have permission to list the directory.
>
> Does anyone have a clue? I think I'm going to have to give up on
> Firefox, and I really don't want to.
>
> Error: missing } in compound statement
> Source File: http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/homepage.js
> Line: 430, Column: 90
> Source Code:
> {cfg2=getSearchAdConfig("searchTop",2,pSide1W,pSid e1H,defSideAdWidth
> ,defSideAdHeight);setCu

will you please be a little more careful? Java is NOT Javascript!
Javascript is NOT Java! A shortform for Javascript is NOT Java!

You get an error in the Javascript window, not the Java window.

What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?

Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an error
on ebay either

You state now that the start page loads partially, and your problem is
logging in
Have you enabled cookies? Have you enabled pop-ups?
Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and then
going there?

Moz Champion

Jive Dadson wrote:
> There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
> Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
> re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
> javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to let
> javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open is
> www.ebay.com.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix it?
>
> I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
>
> Thanks

Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you state you
CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
So which is it?

Jive Dadson

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LVMne.278373$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jive Dadson wrote:
> > There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
> > Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
> > re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
> > javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to

let
> > javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open

is
> > www.ebay.com.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix

it?

> > I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you

state you
> CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
> So which is it?

Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.

Jive Dadson

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IUMne.278369$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip>
>
> What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?

1.0.4

> Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an

error
> on ebay either
>
> You state now that the start page loads partially, and your

problem is
> logging in

Correct. That just started happening today.

> Have you enabled cookies?

Yes.

> Have you enabled pop-ups?

Yes.

> Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and

then
> going there?

Yes.

Moz Champion

Jive Dadson wrote:
> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IUMne.278369$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>><snip>
>>
>>What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?
>>

> 1.0.4
>

>>Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an

> error
>
>>on ebay either
>>
>>You state now that the start page loads partially, and your

> problem is
>
>>logging in

> Correct. That just started happening today.
>

>>Have you enabled cookies?

> Yes.
>

>> Have you enabled pop-ups?

> Yes.
>

>>Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and

> then
>
>>going there?

> Yes.

well, does the page load?
Just where (and how) are you 'logging in' ?
are you using the sign in page? Does THAT show up?

Moz Champion

Jive Dadson wrote:
> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LVMne.278373$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Jive Dadson wrote:
>>
>>>There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
>>>Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
>>>re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
>>>javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to

> let
>
>>>javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open

> is
>
>>>www.ebay.com.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix

> it?
>
>>>I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you

> state you
>
>>CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
>>So which is it?

> Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
> Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
> screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
> the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
> When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.

We are not looking at the same page.
www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
1 Find and 2 Learn

will have to register to see what you see I guess

Moz Champion

Moz Champion wrote:
> Jive Dadson wrote:
>
>> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:LVMne.278373$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> let

>> is

>> it?

>>> Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you

>> state you
>>
>>> CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
>>> So which is it?

>> Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
>> Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
>> screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
>> the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
>> When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.
>>

> We are not looking at the same page.
> www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
> 1 Find and 2 Learn
>
> will have to register to see what you see I guess

well, I am now registered on ebay, but I dont see your Find Buy and Pay!
what EXACT url are you going to on ebay?

Jive Dadson

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_GNne.278478$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Moz Champion wrote:
> > Jive Dadson wrote:
> >
> >> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:LVMne.278373$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> let

open

> >> is

fix

> >> it?

> >> state you

> >> Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at

all.
> >> Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
> >> screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed

only
> >> the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to

click.
> >> When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.
> >>

> > We are not looking at the same page.
> > www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
> > 1 Find and 2 Learn
> >
> > will have to register to see what you see I guess

> well, I am now registered on ebay, but I dont see your Find Buy

and Pay!
> what EXACT url are you going to on ebay?

The EXACT url is www.ebay.com. I don't know why you see something
different.