Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why is Mozilla doing this ... and how to fix it

Why is Mozilla doing this ... and how to fix it

Joe S.

Last night, Mozilla started acting strange. All other applications on my
computer are acting fine, including Outlook Express and Internet Explorer,
only Mozilla is acting strange.

I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home page.
When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch. However, when I
try to go to any of my favorites, here is what happens:

-- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
-- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking for
whatever.com"
-- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
"Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
-- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will open
is the default URL.

I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

Doug G

Joe S. wrote:
> Last night, Mozilla started acting strange. All other applications on my
> computer are acting fine, including Outlook Express and Internet Explorer,
> only Mozilla is acting strange.
>
> I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home page.
> When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch. However, when I
> try to go to any of my favorites, here is what happens:
>
> -- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
> -- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking for
> whatever.com"
> -- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
> "Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
> -- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will open
> is the default URL.
>
> I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.

What is your O/S and version of Mozilla?

Joe S.

WinXP Home Edition with SP1. Firefox 1.0.3

--

-----

"Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe S. wrote:
> > Last night, Mozilla started acting strange. All other applications on

my
> > computer are acting fine, including Outlook Express and Internet

Explorer,
> > only Mozilla is acting strange.
> >
> > I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home page.
> > When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch. However, when

> > try to go to any of my favorites, here is what happens:
> >
> > -- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
> > -- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking

for
> > whatever.com"
> > -- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
> > "Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
> > -- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will

open
> > is the default URL.
> >
> > I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> What is your O/S and version of Mozilla?

Moz Champion

Joe S. wrote:
> WinXP Home Edition with SP1. Firefox 1.0.3

By placing your reply AND signature above previous messages you have
edited them completely out.

Not a bad system (at least its modern). Nice browser (tho I recommend
going to 1.0.4)

What was the question again?
The question may be familiar to you (it is after all your problem) but
it isnt to others
By editing out all the thread, you force anyone to re-read the entire
thread (and sub threads) just to comprehend the problem and see whats
been suggestted or tried before. You may have the time to re-read the
entire thread for EVERY subject in here, I dont. I was willing to
donate some of my time to assist you with your problem, but since I now
have to re-read the entire thread again, I dont have any more time to
help you!

Try replying below the previous messages (such as I have done) without
editing them.

Later Alligator

Splibbilla

"Joe S." <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home
> page. When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch.
> However, when I try to go to any of my favorites, here is what
> happens:
>
> -- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
> -- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking
> for whatever.com"
> -- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
>"Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
> -- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will
> open is the default URL.

maybe your home page (w post) is in your cache? is the news on the page renewed?

and maybe your browser is set to "work offline".

somehow moz and ff keep gettign reset to work offline (in file menu) when my computer crashes.

--
All Gecko/1.7.8: 20050511, Mozilla1.7.20050.51112, Firefox1.0.4 Trying: Rip, infoRSS
1 WinXP + FF + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage, PrefBar, Tabmix, Tabbrowser Preferences, IEView, &?

The One

> I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

If it works fine then why bother with FF?

Colyn

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:19:16 +0100, "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

>If it works fine then why bother with FF?

Because FF is a far better browser than IE..

--
Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Moz Champion

Colyn wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:19:16 +0100, "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

>>If it works fine then why bother with FF?
>>

> Because FF is a far better browser than IE..
>

> --
> Colyn Goodson
>
> http://home.swbell.net/colyng
> http://www.colyngoodson.com

Another reason is that IE is subject to many security exploits that
Firefox is not.
You want to be unsafe? Sure, use IE.

Yet another reason is that IE doesnt follow standards, but uses its own
parameters that encourage bad coding.
If you want to encourage Microsofts 'ownership' of the internet, then
use IE.