Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Which mail account

Which mail account

Stubby

I reconstructed my Mozilla 1.7.3 profile manually. Part of this was
recovering my Local Folders. I found this in ...\Mail\mail.isp.net .
But there was also a ...\Mail\mail.isp-1.net . I tried deleting
the latter and editing prefs.js to change all the references to the
file without the "-1". Mozilla insisted on recreating the files WITH
the "-1".

Not wanting a fight, I copied the contents of the ...\Mail\mail.isp.net
to ...\Mail\mail.isp-1.net . I can see the local folders now, but
Mozilla continually posts a password failure message for the mail account.

How can I fix that and keep my Local Folders, etc? TIA

Doug G

Stubby wrote:
> I reconstructed my Mozilla 1.7.3 profile manually. Part of this was
> recovering my Local Folders. I found this in ...\Mail\mail.isp.net .
> But there was also a ...\Mail\mail.isp-1.net . I tried deleting
> the latter and editing prefs.js to change all the references to the
> file without the "-1". Mozilla insisted on recreating the files WITH
> the "-1".
>
> Not wanting a fight, I copied the contents of the ...\Mail\mail.isp.net
> to ...\Mail\mail.isp-1.net . I can see the local folders now, but
> Mozilla continually posts a password failure message for the mail account.
>
> How can I fix that and keep my Local Folders, etc? TIA

The first mail account created that uses the isp.net server will use the
Mail\mail.isp.net folder. The second mail account created will use the
Mail\mail.isp-1.net folder and so on. Mail folders for any accounts you
later remove will remain on your hard drive.

Try removing all of the mail server's passwords from 1.7.3's Password
manager and then restarting the program.

Or ...
1. Close Mozilla 1.7.3.
2. Open 1.7.3's Profile Manager.
3. Delete the malfunctioning profile but not its files.
4. Create a new profile and its accounts.
5. Close the program and transfer the mail files from the old to the new
profile's Mail folder.
6. When everything is working correctly, delete the old profile's folders.

Think about upgrading to Mozilla 1.7.8.