Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid / HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object

The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid / HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object

lds

I am getting the following error:

The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
"SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80040220): The "SendUsing" configuration value is
invalid.
]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of
an invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers,
Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args,
ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[]
namedParameters) +473
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +58

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +113
System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +153
CAWAA.E.NeedHelp.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +580

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +57
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)
+33

Here is the code:

Dim objMailMessage As New MailMessage
objMailMessage.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
objMailMessage.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
objMailMessage.Subject = "Form Title"
objMailMessage.Body = strMessage

If Len(strEmailFrom) > 0 Then
strEmailTo += ";" & strEmailFrom
End If

objMailMessage.To = strEmailTo
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "127.0.0.1"
SmtpMail.Send(objMailMessage)

This works on our testing server which uses a network service, but it
does not work on our production server which does not. Any ideas? I
know about the FAQ site System.WEb.Mail, OH MY!, and we have tried all
of their suggestions and none of them work.

sp3d2orbit

Smtp.SendUsing = 2

lds

sp3d2orbit wrote:
> Smtp.SendUsing = 2

When I enter in the code you suggested it cannot be compiled in Visual
Studio .NET 2003. it gives me the following error:

Name 'smtp' is not declared

I have imported System.Web.Mail only. Should I be importing something
else as well?

sp3d2orbit

If you upgrade to 2005 you probably won't have this problem. Here's a
sample of sending email from .NET 2.0:

MailMessage msg = new MailMessage();
msg.From = new MailAddress("(E-Mail Removed)");
msg.To.Add("(E-Mail Removed)");
msg.Subject = "test subject";
msg.Body = "test body";

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient();
smtp.Host = "smtp.yourdomain.com";
smtp.Send(msg);

But, if you want to continue using CDO.Message (which MailMessage in <
..NET 2.0 wraps) you need to set the SendUsing property to 2. I have no
idea how to set it from .NET but here's some sample C++ code to get you
started:

#import <msado15.dll> no_namespace rename("EOF", "adoEOF")
#import <cdosys.dll> rename_namespace("CDO") rename("EOF", "adoEOF")

CDO::IMessagePtr pMail = NULL;
pMail.CreateInstance(__uuidof(CDO::Message));

pMail->put_To("(E-Mail Removed)");
pMail->put_From("(E-Mail Removed)");
pMail->put_Subject("test subject");
pMail->put_TextBody("test body");

CDO::IConfigurationPtr pConfig(__uuidof(CDO::Configuration));
FieldsPtr pFields = pConfig->GetFields();
pFields->Item["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver"]->Value

=
_variant_t("smtp.yourdomain.com"); pFields->Item["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport"]->Value
= _variant_t((long)25);
pFields->Item["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing"]->Value
= _variant_t(2);
pFields->Update();

pMail->Configuration = pConfig;
pMail->Send();

The most important line is the one that sets the SendUsing property to
2.

Best of luck,
Matt Furnari

Greg Burns

Sure this won't matter, but I use:

SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"

Is your SMTP server configured and working on your production server?

Have you added 127.0.0.1 to the unresticted list for relaying? (AFAIR, I ran
into this problem when I switched from Win2K to WinXP for my development
machine). Not sure if the same thing applies for Win2003 Server or not....

IIS->Default SMTP->Properties->Access tab->Relay button.

Greg

"lds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am getting the following error:
>
> The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
>
> Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
> "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
>
> Source Error:

> current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of
> the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
>

> Stack Trace:
>

> [COMException (0x80040220): The "SendUsing" configuration value is
> invalid.
> ]
>
> [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of
> an invocation.]
> System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags
> invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers,
> Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) +0
> System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags
> invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args,
> ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[]
> namedParameters) +473
> System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
> methodName, Object[] args) +58
>
> [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
> System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(O bject obj, String
> methodName, Object[] args) +113
> System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
> System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +153
> CAWAA.E.NeedHelp.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +580
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
>
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
> eventArgument) +57
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
> sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)
> +33
>

> Here is the code:
>
> Dim objMailMessage As New MailMessage
> objMailMessage.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
> objMailMessage.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> objMailMessage.Subject = "Form Title"
> objMailMessage.Body = strMessage
>
> If Len(strEmailFrom) > 0 Then
> strEmailTo += ";" & strEmailFrom
> End If
>
> objMailMessage.To = strEmailTo
> SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "127.0.0.1"
> SmtpMail.Send(objMailMessage)
>

> This works on our testing server which uses a network service, but it
> does not work on our production server which does not. Any ideas? I
> know about the FAQ site System.WEb.Mail, OH MY!, and we have tried all
> of their suggestions and none of them work.

sp3d2orbit

OK, here's some c# code that works for me.

MailMessage msg = new MailMessage();
msg.To = "(E-Mail Removed)";
msg.From = "(E-Mail Removed)";
msg.Subject = "test subject";
msg.Body = "test body";
msg.Fields["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport"]
= 25;
msg.Fields["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver"]
= "smtp.yourdomain.com";
msg.Fields["http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing"]
= 2;
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.yourdomain.com";
SmtpMail.Send(msg);

Translating it into VB should be as simple as changing the first line.
Sorry it tooks so long, I'm normally a c++ developer not a .NET
developer.

Best of luck,

Matt Furnari