Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > MozBackUp

MozBackUp

Raymond

Hi All,
I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories
from my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it
will make re installation a lot easier?

Thanks for your time.

--
To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

Ed Mullen

Raymond wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
> Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
> with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
> "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
> FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories
> from my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it
> will make re installation a lot easier?
>
> Thanks for your time.

If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not
being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your
other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Pete

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Raymond wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
>> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
>> Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
>> with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
>> "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
>> FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories from
>> my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it will
>> make re installation a lot easier?
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>>

> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
> for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not being
> further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your other
> non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?
>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
> Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who
> drives a race car not called a racist?

What files exactly have to be backed up for FF and TB.
Where are they?
I am switching to them from I.E. and O.E.
Thanks.
-Pete

Ed Mullen

Pete wrote:
> "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Raymond wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
>>>settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
>>>Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
>>>with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
>>>"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
>>>FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories from
>>>my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it will
>>>make re installation a lot easier?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>>

>>If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
>>for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not being
>>further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your other
>>non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?
>>
>>--
>>Ed Mullen
>>http://edmullen.net
>>http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
>>Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who
>>drives a race car not called a racist?

> What files exactly have to be backed up for FF and TB.
> Where are they?
> I am switching to them from I.E. and O.E.
> Thanks.
> -Pete

Backup the entire profile. That's the safest way. See:
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html to get started.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Say a
bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.

Raymond

Hi Ed,

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Raymond wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
>> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
>> Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
>> with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are
>> usually "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
>> Data\Mozilla (Or FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove
>> these directories from my system backup routine and backup with the
>> MozBackUp utility it will make re installation a lot easier?
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>>

> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use that
> for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly, not
> being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for your
> other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to re-install
the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had to hunt down
the directories to find my mail and then I have to manually put all the
settings back in

--
To email me directly replace "trashcan.bin" with "aapt.net.au"

Raymond

Hi Pete,

Pete wrote:
> "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Raymond wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
>>>settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents and
>>>Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my email
>>>with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are usually
>>>"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla (Or
>>>FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove these directories from
>>>my system backup routine and backup with the MozBackUp utility it will
>>>make re installation a lot easier?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>>

> What files exactly have to be backed up for FF and TB.
> Where are they?
> I am switching to them from I.E. and O.E.
> Thanks.
> -Pete

I am backing up the entire directory to be on the safe side.

--

Raymond wrote:
>> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
>> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall
>> correctly, not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup
>> program for your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

> I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to re-install
> the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had to hunt
> down the directories to find my mail and then I have to manually put
> all the settings back in

If you want a supported way to replace to Mozbackup, add a new backup
job that grabs just the trees with the FF and TB profiles:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Thunderbird
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

That will save your e-mail and all your settings.

Ed Mullen

Raymond wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> Raymond wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I am using MozBackup 1.3.2 to backup my Thunderbird and Firefox
>>> settings. Up until now I have been backing up my entire "Documents
>>> and Settings" folders and therefore at the moment not backing up my
>>> email with MozBackUp. The files that Firefox and Thunderbird uses are
>>> usually "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
>>> Data\Mozilla (Or FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD) " aren't they? So if I remove
>>> these directories from my system backup routine and backup with the
>>> MozBackUp utility it will make re installation a lot easier?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>>

>> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
>> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly,
>> not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for
>> your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

> I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to re-install
> the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had to hunt down
> the directories to find my mail and then I have to manually put all the
> settings back in

You originally asked if Mozbackup would make a re-installation easier
than your system backup. IF you are using a decent system backup
program it will be very easy to restore all or any part of a backup. My
point was: Why complicate your life by using two different programs
when one will do the job? Entirely up to you, of course.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
An oyster is a fish built like a nut.

Raymond

Hi Ed,

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Raymond wrote:
>
>> Hi Ed,
>>
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> If you're using a utility to do system backups I'd continue to use
>>> that for backing up FF and TB. Mozbackup is, if I recall correctly,
>>> not being further developed. Besides, you need a backup program for
>>> your other non-FF/TB data, why complicate things?

>> I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to
>> re-install the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had
>> to hunt down the directories to find my mail and then I have to
>> manually put all the settings back in
>>

> You originally asked if Mozbackup would make a re-installation easier
> than your system backup. IF you are using a decent system backup
> program it will be very easy to restore all or any part of a backup. My
> point was: Why complicate your life by using two different programs
> when one will do the job? Entirely up to you, of course.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have said "Data BackUp" not "System
BackUp" as I am only backing up data, not the system, so when the system
becomes unstable, I can re-install my data but have a fresh install of
the system.

--

Raymond wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> Raymond wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ed,

>>> I am attempting to do exactly the opposite when I have to
>>> re-install the OS. Each time I have done this in the past I have had
>>> to hunt down the directories to find my mail and then I have to
>>> manually put all the settings back in
>>>

>> You originally asked if Mozbackup would make a re-installation easier
>> than your system backup. IF you are using a decent system backup
>> program it will be very easy to restore all or any part of a backup.
>> My point was: Why complicate your life by using two different
>> programs when one will do the job? Entirely up to you, of course.
>>

> Sorry for the confusion, I should have said "Data BackUp" not
> "System BackUp" as I am only backing up data, not the system, so when
> the system becomes unstable, I can re-install my data but have a fresh
> install of the system.

Fine. Substitute "data backup" in my comment: still the same point. I
have several data backups that run automatically on a schedule and that
includes a nightly backup of my Documents and Settings folders which
contains all the Mozilla apps profiles. Again, maybe I'm missing
something but using two programs where one will suffice seems a needless
complication to me. No biggie, if that's how you like it go ahead.
Hey, at least you ARE backing up!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
I don't get even, I get odder.

MozBackup 1.4 Scott Nelson Firefox 2 06-13-2005 05:44 PM
MozBackup in the hands of a newbie Colonel Blip Firefox 1 07-14-2004 01:19 AM

Advertisments