Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Streaming large files over network

Streaming large files over network

A.M-SG

Hi,

I have a ASP.NET aspx file that needs to pass large images from a network
storage to client browser. The requirement is that users cannot have access
to the network share. The aspx file must be the only method that users
receive image files.

Essentially, the aspx file is an intermediate between client browser and a
network share.

I don't want to load all file in my web server memory as a byte[] array and
then stream it to the browser.

Is there any way (or streaming techniques) that I can stream large file
directly from storage to the browser?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alan

=?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW5zW01DU0Rd?=

Hello Alan,

Tracking and Resuming Large File Downloads in ASP.NET -
http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533. Gives a pretty thorough treatment
to the subject.

--
brians
http://www.limbertech.com

"A.M-SG" wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a ASP.NET aspx file that needs to pass large images from a network
> storage to client browser. The requirement is that users cannot have access
> to the network share. The aspx file must be the only method that users
> receive image files.
>

> Essentially, the aspx file is an intermediate between client browser and a
> network share.
>

> I don't want to load all file in my web server memory as a byte[] array and
> then stream it to the browser.
>

> Is there any way (or streaming techniques) that I can stream large file
> directly from storage to the browser?
>

> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Alan

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Brians's input,

Hi Alan,

For your scenario, I also think using the Stream class to open the
filestream and then use read method to flush a small bytes buffer to client
constantly is a reasonable means. You can refer to the articles Brians has
mentioned.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW5zW01DU0Rd?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: RE: Streaming large files over network
| Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:17:50 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hello Alan,
|
| Tracking and Resuming Large File Downloads in ASP.NET -
| http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533. Gives a pretty thorough
treatment
| to the subject.
|

| --
| brians
| http://www.limbertech.com
|

| "A.M-SG" wrote:
|
| > Hi,
| >

| > I have a ASP.NET aspx file that needs to pass large images from a
network
| > storage to client browser. The requirement is that users cannot have
access
| > to the network share. The aspx file must be the only method that users
| > receive image files.
| >

| > Essentially, the aspx file is an intermediate between client browser
and a
| > network share.
| >

| > I don't want to load all file in my web server memory as a byte[] array
and
| > then stream it to the browser.
| >

| > Is there any way (or streaming techniques) that I can stream large file
| > directly from storage to the browser?
| >

| > Any help would be appreciated,
| >
| > Alan

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alan,

How are you doing on this issue, does the information posted in the former
message helps a little? If there're anything else we can help, please do
feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:27:56 GMT
| Subject: RE: Streaming large files over network
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for Brians's input,
|
| Hi Alan,
|
| For your scenario, I also think using the Stream class to open the
| filestream and then use read method to flush a small bytes buffer to
client
| constantly is a reasonable means. You can refer to the articles Brians
has
| mentioned.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW5zW01DU0Rd?=
<(E-Mail Removed)>
| | Subject: RE: Streaming large files over network
| | Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:17:50 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Hello Alan,
| |
| | Tracking and Resuming Large File Downloads in ASP.NET -
| | http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533. Gives a pretty thorough
| treatment
| | to the subject.
| |
| |
| | --
| | brians
| | http://www.limbertech.com
| |
| |
| | "A.M-SG" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi,
| | >

| | > I have a ASP.NET aspx file that needs to pass large images from a
| network
| | > storage to client browser. The requirement is that users cannot have
| access
| | > to the network share. The aspx file must be the only method that
users
| | > receive image files.
| | >

| | > Essentially, the aspx file is an intermediate between client browser
| and a
| | > network share.
| | >

| | > I don't want to load all file in my web server memory as a byte[]
array
| and
| | > then stream it to the browser.
| | >

| | > Is there any way (or streaming techniques) that I can stream large
file
| | > directly from storage to the browser?
| | >

| | > Any help would be appreciated,
| | >
| | > Alan