Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET 2.0, Sitemaps, and Querystrings

ASP.NET 2.0, Sitemaps, and Querystrings

thogek@earthlink.net

We've been working with the ASP.NET 2.0 sitemap functionality, and one
problem we're currently having is a need to be able to generate a
web.sitemap file that includes URLs containing querystring data.
Unfortunately, the presence of querystrings within the URLs in the
nodes of a sitemap file seems to break the whole sitemap navigation
functionality.

I don't have the specific examples or error message in front of me
(although I can get 'em if needed), but... Has anyone else worked with
sitemap URLs with querystrings in ASP.NET 2.0 and seen this sort of
problem, and/or found out how to get around it, or at least know why it
happens?

Oh, and we're currently working with the Beta 2 release of .NET, VS,
and TFS, awaiting the November RTM to upgrade the lot of 'em. If this
is a Beta 2 issue that's been corrected in subsequent releases, we'd
appreciate knowing that, as well.

Thanks.

- Tom Kiefer

clintonG

Please check the MSDN Product Feedback Center [1] where these issues have
been reported. If it has been recorded already Microsoft will have provided
some type of response. Then return here to let us all know if you found this
issue reported yet. Right?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/Produc...k/Default.aspx

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

thogek@earthlink.net

clintonG wrote:
> Please check the MSDN Product Feedback Center [1] where these issues have
> been reported...

Clinton,
Yes, I am familiar with the MSDN Product Feedback Center (I've found
and posted issues and suggestions there before), and did find one
message there that seemed to suggest that URLs with querystrings should
be usable in sitemap nodes. (Someone was having trouble getting such
to work, but that was because he wasn't URL-encoding the ampersands
within the sitemap XML, which isn't the problem we're having now.) But
nothing else that seemed relevant. Thus, I next posted the question
here, in case anyone else reading might have had such problems, and
will likely post in the Product Feedback Center, as well.

- Tom Kiefer

clintonG

Well Tom, if you have access to the MSDN Subscriber downloads stay up really
late tonight and download ASP.NET 2.0 which began shipping to subscribers
sometime today. That's one way to find out

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

thogek@earthlink.net

clintonG wrote:
> Well Tom, if you have access to the MSDN Subscriber downloads stay up really
> late tonight and download ASP.NET 2.0 which began shipping to subscribers
> sometime today. That's one way to find out

We'll be starting just that sort of testing about a lot of things .NET
2.0 very shortly. If this one (or any of our other current issues)
turns out to be just a beta 2 bug, we'll find that out soon enough. Of
course, that won't mean we'll have it instantly fixed, as migrating
several in-motion inter-related .NET 2.0 Beta 2 projects all using a
TFS Beta 2 implementation to usage of the RC/RTM versions is going to
be a bit less trivial...

This is going to be... er... fun.

In the meantime, I guess we keep poking at prodding at why our SiteMap
doesn't like querystrings...

- Tom Kiefer

Danny Tuppeny

"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well Tom, if you have access to the MSDN Subscriber downloads stay up
> really late tonight and download ASP.NET 2.0 which began shipping to
> subscribers sometime today. That's one way to find out

Grrrr.!! Do non-"MSDN Subscribers" have to wait until 7th Nov, or will it
likely be around before?

Anyone know of VWD will be available then too, or if it's likely to be after
7th Nov?

I need to re-format my laptop, and when that ships would be an ideal time to
do it!

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Grrrr.!! Do non-"MSDN Subscribers" have to wait until 7th Nov, or will it likely be
> around before?

The .Net Framework 2.0 redistributable and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK
are now publicly available in x86, x64 and IA64 versions :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...Lang=en&type=a

Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> That's one way to find out

> Grrrr.!! Do non-"MSDN Subscribers" have to wait until 7th Nov, or will it likely be
> around before?
>
> Anyone know of VWD will be available then too, or if it's likely to be after 7th Nov?
>
> I need to re-format my laptop, and when that ships would be an ideal time to do it!

Danny Tuppeny

news:uoT%23m2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>> Grrrr.!! Do non-"MSDN Subscribers" have to wait until 7th Nov, or will it
>> likely be around before?

> The .Net Framework 2.0 redistributable and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK
> are now publicly available in x86, x64 and IA64 versions :
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...Lang=en&type=a

Wicked

But will this screw up VWD beta 2? :-\

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> But will this screw up VWD beta 2? :-\

It certainly will.

You cannot install Beta 2 and the release version side-by-side.

You can run 1.1 and any v 2.0 ( including any beta ) side-by-side,
but there's a restraint which prevents running two v 2 versions concurrently.

IOW, you'd have to remove Beta 2 before you can install the Release,
and that will -definitely- "screw up" VWD beta 2.

Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
"Danny Tuppeny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43634324$0$15071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uoT%23m2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>>> Grrrr.!! Do non-"MSDN Subscribers" have to wait until 7th Nov, or will it likely be
>>> around before?

>> The .Net Framework 2.0 redistributable and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK
>> are now publicly available in x86, x64 and IA64 versions :
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...Lang=en&type=a

> Wicked
>
> But will this screw up VWD beta 2? :-\

Danny Tuppeny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> IOW, you'd have to remove Beta 2 before you can install the Release,
> and that will -definitely- "screw up" VWD beta 2.

Bummer

Ah well, guess I'll have to wait to install this then!

Anyone know if VWD is likely to be available before, on or after Nov 7th?
It's not a big deal for me, but the person working on a website with me
wants to help, and I told him he may as well wait till final release rather
than pollute his machine with betas..! (