Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF or Java problem?

FF or Java problem?

Nick D.

I just started using Firefox 1.04. I like to do the AOL crossword
(http://my.aol.com/entertainment/crossword/crossword.psp) and NY Times
crossword
(http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/crossword/classicpuz.html','crosswords
','width=650,height=530,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no, resizable=yes'); that run
in java. In IE java the tab key jumps me from one "across" or "down" answer
to the next one in the puzzle grid. But in FF's Sun Java the tab key takes
me out of the puzzle grid and into a "sidebar" or frame. It really slows
down completion of the puzzle when I have to pick up the mouse each time I
move from answer to answer instead of just tabbing. Any explanation for
this or how it can be changed.

Roland

On 19-5-2005 22:23, Nick D. wrote:

> I just started using Firefox 1.04. I like to do the AOL crossword
> (http://my.aol.com/entertainment/crossword/crossword.psp) and NY Times
> crossword
> (http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/crossword/classicpuz.html','crosswords
> ','width=650,height=530,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no, resizable=yes'); that run
> in java. In IE java the tab key jumps me from one "across" or "down" answer
> to the next one in the puzzle grid. But in FF's Sun Java the tab key takes
> me out of the puzzle grid and into a "sidebar" or frame. It really slows
> down completion of the puzzle when I have to pick up the mouse each time I
> move from answer to answer instead of just tabbing. Any explanation for
> this or how it can be changed.

I think it's a Java problem. In IE you are probably using Microsoft's
JVM (Java Virtual Machine). By default, Sun's JVM uses the tab key for
focussing different GUI elements. AFAIK, this can be suppressed, i.e.
the crossword applet could have been written to use tab to run through
each word on Sun's JVM too.

To check which JVM you are running, go to
<http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>

To see the same (undesired) behavior in IE, you can enable Sun's JVM
--if it has been installed correctly-- by selecting IE menu Tools ->
Internet Options -> Advanced -> Java (Sun) -> Use JRE x.y.z for <applet>.

You could write a note to AOL and NY Times about this problem.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___