Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Active Directory example

Active Directory example

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgRGF2b2xp?=

I'm trying to call Active Directory and validate userid exists in active
directory. This is on a web site. Since a web site is on a server, #1 how do
I get the userid in vb.net on the client machine where the user is logged in?
#2 how do I validate that userid in active directory?

Can someone steer me in the direction of some sample code or a good link?
--
Chris Davoli

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=

Do you have Integrated Auth turned on for the site? If you have anonymous you
can't get the user from the client.

--
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com

"Chris Davoli" wrote:

> I'm trying to call Active Directory and validate userid exists in active
> directory. This is on a web site. Since a web site is on a server, #1 how do
> I get the userid in vb.net on the client machine where the user is logged in?
> #2 how do I validate that userid in active directory?
>
> Can someone steer me in the direction of some sample code or a good link?
> --
> Chris Davoli

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgRGF2b2xp?=

Do you have a link to some web page that will explain this to me?
--
Chris Davoli

"Curt_C [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you have Integrated Auth turned on for the site? If you have anonymous you
> can't get the user from the client.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> site: http://www.darkfalz.com
> blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com
>

> "Chris Davoli" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to call Active Directory and validate userid exists in active
> > directory. This is on a web site. Since a web site is on a server, #1 how do
> > I get the userid in vb.net on the client machine where the user is logged in?
> > #2 how do I validate that userid in active directory?
> >
> > Can someone steer me in the direction of some sample code or a good link?
> > --
> > Chris Davoli

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgRGF2b2xp?=

Curt, if you have integrated auth turned on, then will the logged in user get
passed to the server?
--
Chris Davoli

"Curt_C [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you have Integrated Auth turned on for the site? If you have anonymous you
> can't get the user from the client.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> site: http://www.darkfalz.com
> blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com
>

> "Chris Davoli" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to call Active Directory and validate userid exists in active
> > directory. This is on a web site. Since a web site is on a server, #1 how do
> > I get the userid in vb.net on the client machine where the user is logged in?
> > #2 how do I validate that userid in active directory?
> >
> > Can someone steer me in the direction of some sample code or a good link?
> > --
> > Chris Davoli

Patrick.O.Ige

Try posting your questions to :- dotnet.framework.asp.net.security forum
Hope that helps
Patrick
** Can you post how some snippet how you are trying to achieve that?**

"Chris Davoli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have a link to some web page that will explain this to me?
> --
> Chris Davoli
>

> "Curt_C [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Do you have Integrated Auth turned on for the site? If you have

anonymous you
> > can't get the user from the client.
> >
> > --
> > Curt Christianson
> > site: http://www.darkfalz.com
> > blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com
> >

> > "Chris Davoli" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to call Active Directory and validate userid exists in

active
> > > directory. This is on a web site. Since a web site is on a server, #1

how do
> > > I get the userid in vb.net on the client machine where the user is

logged in?
> > > #2 how do I validate that userid in active directory?
> > >
> > > Can someone steer me in the direction of some sample code or a good

link?
> > > --
> > > Chris Davoli

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

Chris if you are interested in Windows Auth then u need integrated auth
turned on
and Anonymous Acces unchecked by using User.Identity.Name you are suppoe to
get the user logged on and do what you want with it..
With forms Auth u need Anonymous Acces checked.
for Validating against AD see :-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...SecNetHT02.asp
For forms and for windows i blogged it at:-
http://spaces.msn.com/members/naijacoder/
Hope that helps
Patrick