Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Where is KB article for Access to the path C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files?

Where is KB article for Access to the path C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files?

Siegfried Heintze

I believe it is necessary to grant my FTP account access to Access to the
path "C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/root/" if I want to access DLLs or MSAccess databases in my ASP.NET
application. Is this documented in a KB article somewhere?

Since third party hosting services are reluctant to grant me such access, it
would help if I could point them to something on the official MS web site
that confirms my verbal explanations.

Thanks,
Siegfried

Bruce Barker

its not necessary. asp.net will shadow copy all dll's from your bin to the
temp. to find the accessdb, use server.mappath

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Siegfried Heintze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I believe it is necessary to grant my FTP account access to Access to the
> path "C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
> Files/root/" if I want to access DLLs or MSAccess databases in my ASP.NET
> application. Is this documented in a KB article somewhere?
>
> Since third party hosting services are reluctant to grant me such access,
> it
> would help if I could point them to something on the official MS web site
> that confirms my verbal explanations.
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

Jason Kester

Actually, all the documentation you need is contained in the error
message. You personally never need to touch that folder. Only the
ASPNET account needs access to it, and if you're using shared hosting
you can be assured that they will set it up for you.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

---
Get your own Travel Blog, with itinerary maps and photos!
http://www.blogabond.com/

Siegfried Heintze

Well, OK. The error message says:
"C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/root/" access denied." when I try to open an MSAccess database.

I wish I had the stack trace handy. So what do I do when I get this
error message? I know one thing that works: grant access to that
directory! It is just difficult to convince third party hosting services
to do this because they are concerned that this is a security
compromise.

But are you telling me there is a better solution?

Siegfried

Jason Kester

Exactly

If you have a shared ASP.NET hosting provider that refuses to grant the
ASPNET account the privileges it needs to function, I'd suggest you
drop them. That's what that account is for. That's basically ALL it
needs access to!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

---
Get your own Travel Blog, with itinerary maps and photos!
http://www.blogabond.com/

Socrates Demise Socrates Demise is offline
Junior Member

Ok but what about this?
The problem in my case is not permissions related, I looked... ASPNET has plenty of access... the problem as far as i can tell is that the folder was never created... I look in the /root and there are other folders but not the one that it is looking for here...

I have also tried creating the folder, I get a problem with hash.web if i do.

(I even tried opeining the folder up to Everybody - Full control, to no avail...)

Any ideas on this would be most helpful.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Access to the path "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\root\34a2bf68\7ff35194" is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\root\34a2bf68\7ff35194" is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\root\34a2bf68\7ff35194" is denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +360
System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path) +600
System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path) +180
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFi rstTimeInit(HttpContext context) +85
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.Ensu reFirstTimeInit(HttpContext context) +97
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetP reservedAssemblyEntry(HttpContext context, String virtualPath, Boolean fApplicationFile) +29
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemFro mPreservedCompilation() +91
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInt ernal(Boolean fCreateIfNotFound) +148
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemWit hNewConfigPath() +125
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +88
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetP arserCacheItem(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +120
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledIns tance(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +36
System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceIn ternal(String virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpCo ntext context, String requestType, String url, String path) +44
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpCont ext context, String requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +699
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Http Application+IExecutionStep.Execute() +95
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +173

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

kenducharme kenducharme is offline
Junior Member

Finally I looked in IIS Manager and saw that there was no name in the Application box so I hit "Remove" then "Create" and it started working.