Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is ASP Validator Regex Engine Same As VS2003 Find Regex Engine?

=?Utf-8?B?SmViQnVzaGVsbA==?=

I see signs that the ASP.NET regular expression validator has a different
instruction set that the Find utility in VS 2003.

I am trying to use the VS2003 regular expression Find tool to test regular
expressions for use in a ASP.NET validator. The results I am getting are
inconsistent . What works in VS does not always work in ASP.NET and vice
versa. For example:

[0-9]+([\.]{0,1})([0-9]*)

This expression, in an ASP.NET reg exp validator identifies positive real
numbers perfectly. But, when used in the VS Find utility against a text file
of candidate values (see below) it finds none!

0.0
1.
1.0
99
99.
99.999
99.a
-99999

I developed the above reg ex because the documented shorthand for it (:n)
does not work in ASP.NET. Am I lost? Or are these two implementations
quite different?

Please note that this is not a request for help in forming a regex. It is
about the possibility of there being two different regex engines. The VS2003
regex commands are documented. If they are different then where are the
ASP.NET regex validator commands documented?

Apologies for repost.

S. Justin Gengo

Jeb,

I know that when I use regular expressions in VS 2003 they sometimes have to
be wrapped in a caret and dollar sign.

^[regular expression here]$

Try placing those characters at the beginning and end of your regular
expression and see if it works then. Unfortunately, I can't remember which
bit of documentation I read that in. But I've been doing it for quite a
while now.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
"JebBushell" <jebbushell AT yahoo DOT com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see signs that the ASP.NET regular expression validator has a different
> instruction set that the Find utility in VS 2003.
>
> I am trying to use the VS2003 regular expression Find tool to test regular
> expressions for use in a ASP.NET validator. The results I am getting are
> inconsistent . What works in VS does not always work in ASP.NET and vice
> versa. For example:
>
> [0-9]+([\.]{0,1})([0-9]*)
>
> This expression, in an ASP.NET reg exp validator identifies positive real
> numbers perfectly. But, when used in the VS Find utility against a text
> file
> of candidate values (see below) it finds none!
>
> 0.0
> 0
> 1
> 1.
> 1.0
> 99
> 99.
> 99.999
> 99.a
> 99999
> -99999
>
> I developed the above reg ex because the documented shorthand for it (:n)
> does not work in ASP.NET. Am I lost? Or are these two implementations
> quite different?
>
> Please note that this is not a request for help in forming a regex. It is
> about the possibility of there being two different regex engines. The
> VS2003
> regex commands are documented. If they are different then where are the
> ASP.NET regex validator commands documented?
>
> Apologies for repost.

=?Utf-8?B?SmViQnVzaGVsbA==?=

The expression you suggest is :

I tested this expression in the ASP validator and it worked - just as it
had previously without the ^ and $. No problem there.

However, in VS2003 it did not work.

Just as a crosscheck I reran the abbreviated equivalent ^:n$ in VS against
the previously given dataset and it worked. When I reran it in the validator
it failed.

Either I'm goofing something up or these engines are different.