Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > new items to Mozilla Pref.Bar

new items to Mozilla Pref.Bar

Arne

Hi,
I would like to costumize the Prefbar with a totaly new pref. What I
want to add is a "check/uncheck" or "kill" pref for animated gifs that
loops "forever".

Most time I don't mind a small animation on pages (using a couple my
self), so I have the "As many times as ...." on, on Edit > Preferences
> Privacy. But from to time I'm landing on a pages where the "forever"

looping gif(s) is annoying. So the "uncheck" or "kill" in the Prefbar
should be handy to stop the looping temporarely.

But since there is no sutch item in the Prefbar I would like to add
it, if possible. But I don't know how to do that. I would prefer a
checkbox, but what do I write for "Id", "Prefstring", "toPref" and
"fromPref" (or "onClick" for a button)? Could anybody give me some
assistance on this

TIA

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Rom

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:15:25 +0200, Arne rambled:

> I would like to costumize the Prefbar with a totaly new pref. What I
> want to add is a "check/uncheck" or "kill" pref for animated gifs that
> loops "forever".
>
> Most time I don't mind a small animation on pages (using a couple my
> self), so I have the "As many times as ...." on, on Edit > Preferences
> > Privacy. But from to time I'm landing on a pages where the "forever"

> looping gif(s) is annoying. So the "uncheck" or "kill" in the Prefbar
> should be handy to stop the looping temporarely.
>
> But since there is no sutch item in the Prefbar I would like to add
> it, if possible. But I don't know how to do that. I would prefer a
> checkbox, but what do I write for "Id", "Prefstring", "toPref" and
> "fromPref" (or "onClick" for a button)? Could anybody give me some
> assistance on this

PrefBar v3.1 <http://prefbar.mozdev.org/> has a "Pref Check" available
for "Animation" with the following:

Item Data
Id: animation
Label: Animation
Prefstring: image.animation_mode
toPref: value ? 'normal' : 'none'
fromPref: value=='normal'

["As many times as the image specifies" is "normal", and "Never" is
"none"]

--
Rom

Arne

Once upon a time *Rom* wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:15:25 +0200, Arne rambled:
>
>> I would like to costumize the Prefbar with a totaly new pref. What I
>> want to add is a "check/uncheck" or "kill" pref for animated gifs that
>> loops "forever".
>>
>> Most time I don't mind a small animation on pages (using a couple my
>> self), so I have the "As many times as ...." on, on Edit > Preferences
>> > Privacy. But from to time I'm landing on a pages where the "forever"

>> looping gif(s) is annoying. So the "uncheck" or "kill" in the Prefbar
>> should be handy to stop the looping temporarely.
>>
>> But since there is no sutch item in the Prefbar I would like to add
>> it, if possible. But I don't know how to do that. I would prefer a
>> checkbox, but what do I write for "Id", "Prefstring", "toPref" and
>> "fromPref" (or "onClick" for a button)? Could anybody give me some
>> assistance on this

> PrefBar v3.1 <http://prefbar.mozdev.org/> has a "Pref Check" available
> for "Animation" with the following:
>
> Item Data
> Id: animation
> Label: Animation
> Prefstring: image.animation_mode
> toPref: value ? 'normal' : 'none'
> fromPref: value=='normal'
>
> ["As many times as the image specifies" is "normal", and "Never" is
> "none"]

Thank's Rom, that worked great when I created the checkbox in my old
Prefbar (within my old 1.7.3 browser). But afterwards I decided to
update the browser to 1.7.8 and then installed the PrefBar v3.1 to it.

I hav'nt wanted to update the browser earlier, because of all the
writings about problems and how difficult it has been for others,
reinstalling and resetting preferences and everything else.

But to my big suprice I had a very smooth and fast "journey" with the
update process! It can't be any easier than that!

First I used the "ad/remove program" in Controlpanel to uninstall the
old Mozilla, but only to the level where it says that not everything
is uninstalled, and ask if I want to completely remove the Mozilla
folders in Program folder. There I hit "No" and installed the new
version "on top" of what left of the uninstalled version, as a
"custom" install where I left out a couple of things I don't need.

After install was finished, I did'nt need to do any additional
reinstall or change anything in my settings or preferences, everything
seams to work as it should and did before.

Well, I wanted to tell this for those to read who had problems with
updates or has not updated yet. Mozilla Suite is the best, most
powerful, open source, fully developed and mature app for Web and
e-mail! The "kids" (Firefox and Thunderbird) has lot of work ahead
before they reach the same level. I curse the Moz dev's for throwing
the Suite out from the foundation!