Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox - Open link in new tab

Firefox - Open link in new tab

Porter Smith

I'm running Firefix 1.04 on Windows XP. When I right click a link and
select "Open in new tab" it opens the link, but focus stays with the
original page. Is there a switch I can flip so FF gives focus to the new
tab?

TIA.

Doug G

Porter Smith wrote:

> I'm running Firefix 1.04 on Windows XP. When I right click a link and
> select "Open in new tab" it opens the link, but focus stays with the
> original page. Is there a switch I can flip so FF gives focus to the new
> tab?
>
> TIA.

1. Type about:config in the address (URL) box and press Enter.
2. Use "background" (no quotes) for the filter.
3. Toggle the "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" preference to false.
Toggle appears on the line's context (right click) menu.

Porter Smith

Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Porter Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm running Firefix 1.04 on Windows XP. When I right click a link and
>> select "Open in new tab" it opens the link, but focus stays with the
>> original page. Is there a switch I can flip so FF gives focus to the
>> new tab?
>>
>> TIA.

> 1. Type about:config in the address (URL) box and press Enter.
> 2. Use "background" (no quotes) for the filter.
> 3. Toggle the "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" preference to false.
> Toggle appears on the line's context (right click) menu.

That did it. Thanks

Zygon Curry

On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:15:31 -0500, Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>1. Type about:config in the address (URL) box and press Enter.
>2. Use "background" (no quotes) for the filter.
>3. Toggle the "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" preference to false.
>Toggle appears on the line's context (right click) menu.

Are there any online documents that describe in detail the full
capabilities of the 'about:config' options and what they do?

Thanks.

Doug G

Zygon Curry wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:15:31 -0500, Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>1. Type about:config in the address (URL) box and press Enter.
>>2. Use "background" (no quotes) for the filter.
>>3. Toggle the "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" preference to false.
>>Toggle appears on the line's context (right click) menu.

> Are there any online documents that describe in detail the full
> capabilities of the 'about:config' options and what they do?
>
> Thanks.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:10:14 +0100, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Zygon Curry wrote:

> Are there any online documents that describe in detail the full
> capabilities of the 'about:config' options and what they do?

http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

and others

http://www.geocities.com/pratiksolanki/
http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7userjs.html

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

Zygon Curry

On Sun, 15 May 2005 05:51:03 -0500, Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Thanks!

Mr. R

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 05:51:03 -0500, Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Maybe I am just slow or becoming totally inept but I went to the above site
and I have changed some settings in about:config as per someone's
instruction here a few days ago.

I have also changed and re-changed and re-re-changed the settings in the
"tools" menu as well as doing a couple of other things that have been writtne
here but I *still* can't get a new window to open as another tab in my tab
bar!

I have 3 tabs that open when Firefox starts. OK, so far, so good. If I then
open another bookmark or new site for whatever reason it opens as a tab in the
tab-space of the tab/window I opened it in. Does that make sense?

Yes, if I use CTRL + T I can get it to open as a new tab but is there ANY way
to make the new fourth (or whatever) tab open in a new, fourth position
instead of over-writing one of the 3 that are already present?

I think I changed something in about:config that should allow me to have as
many as 5 tabs open at once in the tab bar. Am I completely off-base? Is this
actually possible? Nothing so far has worked.

Thanks to anyone who can type slow enough so that my addled brain can
understand it!!!

Ed Mullen

Doug G wrote:

> Zygon Curry wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:15:31 -0500, Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> 1. Type about:config in the address (URL) box and press Enter.
>>> 2. Use "background" (no quotes) for the filter.
>>> 3. Toggle the "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" preference to false.
>>> Toggle appears on the line's context (right click) menu.

>> Are there any online documents that describe in detail the full
>> capabilities of the 'about:config' options and what they do?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

A few additional ones:

http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html
http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/end-u...riefprefs.html
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/netwo.../netprefs.html
http://www.geocities.com/pratiksolanki/
http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/arch...ddenprefs.html
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/tips

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Doug G

Mr. R wrote:
>>On Sun, 15 May 2005 05:51:03 -0500, Doug G <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

> Maybe I am just slow or becoming totally inept but I went to the above site
> and I have changed some settings in about:config as per someone's
> instruction here a few days ago.
>
> I have also changed and re-changed and re-re-changed the settings in the
> "tools" menu as well as doing a couple of other things that have been writtne
> here but I *still* can't get a new window to open as another tab in my tab
> bar!
>
> I have 3 tabs that open when Firefox starts. OK, so far, so good. If I then
> open another bookmark or new site for whatever reason it opens as a tab in the
> tab-space of the tab/window I opened it in. Does that make sense?
>
> Yes, if I use CTRL + T I can get it to open as a new tab but is there ANY way
> to make the new fourth (or whatever) tab open in a new, fourth position
> instead of over-writing one of the 3 that are already present?
>
> I think I changed something in about:config that should allow me to have as
> many as 5 tabs open at once in the tab bar. Am I completely off-base? Is this
> actually possible? Nothing so far has worked.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can type slow enough so that my addled brain can
> understand it!!!

In about:config find the following value and toggle it to true.

browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs

Doing so adds another preference to the Tabbed Browsing options and it
may be what you want.