Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Shadow Copy a text resource file along with an assembly

Shadow Copy a text resource file along with an assembly

Kevin Frey

I am relatively new to ASP.NET development.

We have built an assembly in C++ (mixed mode) that will be used by our
ASP.NET application. The assembly can also be used outside of ASP.NEt.

Resource-type information required by this assembly is included in two
separate files, that the assembly reads at initialisation time. These files
are presently named with the same base name as the DLL, and different
extensions.

On initialisation, the assembly uses the filename of the DLL to determine
the name of its associated resource files.

My problem is that under ASP.NET, our resource DLL is shadow-copied to
another location under "Temporary ASP.NET Files", yet the associated files
are not copied and hence the DLL cannot initialise itself.

The major reason for having separate files for these resources (they contain
text strings) versus a compiled-in resource is that the file can be easily
edited to make changes on-the-fly to these strings. The changes might even
be made by a client so it is impractical to compile them into the assembly
as a resource.

The easiest solution would be to somehow direct ASP.NET that these files
must be copied when the assembly is shadow-copied. Is this possible?

I'll accept any potential solutions at this stage...

Thanks

Kevin

shadow copy and deep copy Eva Ruby 2 11-09-2010 01:41 PM
ASP.NET Shadow Copy With DLL Config File Mark ASP .Net 0 11-08-2006 12:46 PM
Question on article by Scott about "Shadow copy of an assembly" =?Utf-8?B?RGlmZmlkZW50?= ASP .Net 2 02-02-2006 11:11 PM
Shadow-copied assemblies and dynamic assembly loading Barry Kelly ASP .Net 4 12-07-2004 10:32 AM
COM+ error when I do a Shadow copy Bill Joyce ASP .Net 0 09-23-2004 01:42 PM

Advertisments