Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox Won't Start

Firefox Won't Start

dwegeng@gmail.com

I have a repeatable problem with Firefox 1.0.3 (and previous versions
starting with 1.0) running on XP SP2. My wife and I have seperate
Firefox profiles, so we start Firefox with the -p flag. The problem is
that in many cases, Firefox will not start after we select a profile.
In other words:

1. Start Firefox with the -p flag.
2. Select a profile on the Profile Manager window, then select Start.
3. Nothing happens.

When this occurs, I can use the XP Task Manager to see a firefox.exe
task running (sometimes there will be more than one instance of
firefox.exe running), which I have to kill before I will be able to
start Firefox.

This problem is very repeatable, approaching 100% of the time. In
addition, I have learned that if I count to five between steps 1 and 2
above, then Firefox will start without any problems. Sounds like there
may be a race condition...

I suspect that most people do not use the -p flag, so most people will
never encounter this problem. Does anyone know if this is a known
problem, and if a fix is being developed?

Thanks!
/Don

Roland

On 12-5-2005 17:52, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a repeatable problem with Firefox 1.0.3 (and previous versions
> starting with 1.0) running on XP SP2. My wife and I have seperate
> Firefox profiles, so we start Firefox with the -p flag. The problem is
> that in many cases, Firefox will not start after we select a profile.
> In other words:
>
> 1. Start Firefox with the -p flag.
> 2. Select a profile on the Profile Manager window, then select Start.
> 3. Nothing happens.
>
> When this occurs, I can use the XP Task Manager to see a firefox.exe
> task running (sometimes there will be more than one instance of
> firefox.exe running), which I have to kill before I will be able to
> start Firefox.
>
> This problem is very repeatable, approaching 100% of the time. In
> addition, I have learned that if I count to five between steps 1 and 2
> above, then Firefox will start without any problems. Sounds like there
> may be a race condition...
>
> I suspect that most people do not use the -p flag, so most people will
> never encounter this problem. Does anyone know if this is a known
> problem, and if a fix is being developed?
>
> Thanks!
> /Don

It's possible to start firefox with the appropriate profile directly:
firefox.exe -p "Name Of Profile"
Does it also happen if you start firefox in this way?
(You could create two shortcuts, one for you and one for your wife).
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/

dwegeng@gmail.com

Roland wrote:
> It's possible to start firefox with the appropriate profile directly:
> firefox.exe -p "Name Of Profile"
> Does it also happen if you start firefox in this way?
> (You could create two shortcuts, one for you and one for your wife).

Good suggestion. I will try that and report back in a couple days.

Thanks!

/Don