Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio.NET 2003, Norton Internnet Security 2005 & debugging

Visual Studio.NET 2003, Norton Internnet Security 2005 & debugging

Mark Rae

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with VS.NET 2003 & Norton Internet
Security 2005, specifically when debugging?

More and more often when I'm debugging an ASPX page, the code breaks on the
following JavaScript function:

function SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad(); // code breaks here
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
}

The error message is:
Microsoft JScript runtime error: Function expected

If I drag the next execution line down to the closing bracket, the page
loads normally.

This piece of JavaScript is automatically inserted into HTML pages by Norton
Internet Security 2005, but the problem only exhibits itself in Debug mode -
in Release mode or running the site "natively" i.e. through a browser not
within VS.NET, this doesn't happen. I've not really found anything useful
about this through a Google search. Has anyone else seen this strange
behaviour?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

S. Justin Gengo

Mark, shouldn't you have another set of brackets around your "if" statement?
The script may be confused... Just something to try.

function SymOnLoad()
{

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else experiencing a problem with VS.NET 2003 & Norton Internet
> Security 2005, specifically when debugging?
>
> More and more often when I'm debugging an ASPX page, the code breaks on
> the following JavaScript function:
>
> function SymOnLoad()
> {
> if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
> SymRealOnLoad(); // code breaks here
> window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
> SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
> window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
> }
>
> The error message is:
> Microsoft JScript runtime error: Function expected
>
> If I drag the next execution line down to the closing bracket, the page
> loads normally.
>
> This piece of JavaScript is automatically inserted into HTML pages by
> Norton Internet Security 2005, but the problem only exhibits itself in
> Debug mode - in Release mode or running the site "natively" i.e. through a
> browser not within VS.NET, this doesn't happen. I've not really found
> anything useful about this through a Google search. Has anyone else seen
> this strange behaviour?
>
> Any assistance gratefully received.
>
> Mark

Mark Rae

"S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Mark, shouldn't you have another set of brackets around your "if"
> statement? The script may be confused... Just something to try.

Please re-read my original post, specifically the bit which says...

>> This piece of JavaScript is automatically inserted into HTML pages by
>> Norton Internet Security 2005,

S. Justin Gengo

Mark,

Sorry, I missed that.

Searching the internet that code is for the symantec pop-up blocker. It's
strange because I have pop-up blocking enabled, yet symantec isn't inserting
this code into any of the sites I've created. Of course, I don't do any
pop-ups so maybe it doesn't insert the code unless it finds popup code...

I don't think there is a way to stop the insertion. And, unfortunately I
have no idea what to do about it while debugging other than to possibly
comment out any popup code you may be running.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Mark, shouldn't you have another set of brackets around your "if"
>> statement? The script may be confused... Just something to try.

> Please re-read my original post, specifically the bit which says...
>
>>> This piece of JavaScript is automatically inserted into HTML pages by
>>> Norton Internet Security 2005,

S. Justin Gengo

Mark,

I thought of something right after I said I couldn't think of anything.

What about adding your site (localhost) to norton as a trusted site?

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Mark, shouldn't you have another set of brackets around your "if"
>> statement? The script may be confused... Just something to try.

> Please re-read my original post, specifically the bit which says...
>
>>> This piece of JavaScript is automatically inserted into HTML pages by
>>> Norton Internet Security 2005,

Mark Rae

"S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
message news:O8sI1I$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Searching the internet that code is for the symantec pop-up blocker.

Correct.

> I don't think there is a way to stop the insertion.

Me neither...

> And, unfortunately I have no idea what to do about it while debugging
> other than to possibly comment out any popup code you may be running.

I'm not running any popup code...

Mark Rae

"S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
message news:ea5NlK$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I thought of something right after I said I couldn't think of anything.
>
> What about adding your site (localhost) to norton as a trusted site?

Already did - made no difference...