Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > File Permissions, write but not delete

File Permissions, write but not delete

krock_112@yahoo.com

I'm trying to set up a group of shared folders.
Folder 1
Folder 2
Common Share

I want all users that have access to folder 2 to be able to create new
folders, add documents to the sub folders, pretty much do everything
but delete. I have been unsuccesful so far. I either have to give
everyone complete access which then gives them the delete option, or I
give them read only which takes away their modify ability.
I have tried changing the effective permissions by giving the specified
users write permissions but deselecting the delete option. Yet that
still doesn't work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

NGsysad

Scott Allen

Hi NGsysad:

What exactly happens when you say it doesn't work?
Are you using integrated authentication and impersonation?

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On 13 Oct 2005 06:59:42 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm trying to set up a group of shared folders.
>Folder 1
>Folder 2
>Common Share
>
>I want all users that have access to folder 2 to be able to create new
>folders, add documents to the sub folders, pretty much do everything
>but delete. I have been unsuccesful so far. I either have to give
>everyone complete access which then gives them the delete option, or I
>give them read only which takes away their modify ability.
>I have tried changing the effective permissions by giving the specified
>users write permissions but deselecting the delete option. Yet that
>still doesn't work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
>NGsysad

krock_112@yahoo.com

I have folders created and have basic read write privleges for users on
the parent folder. In the sub folders I have broken it down to specific
user privleges. My main thing that's not working is the delete and
create folders and files. I have denied a users ability to delete and
they can still delete, i have denied them access and they can still get
in. What am I doing wrong

Scott Allen

Are you using windows authentication?
Are you using impersonation?

If not, all the requests will be running with the ASP.NET identity
(defaults to ASPNET on IIS 5.x, NETWORK SERVICE on IIS 6.0), and these
accounts may have delete capability on those directories.