Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox va IE for Web Developers?

Firefox va IE for Web Developers?

corwin8

I'm seeing increased usage of Firefox browsers on my sites, and I just
noticed that some elements of my web pages don't display properly in
Firefox. Is there an authoritive list somewhere, for web developers, of the
differences between Firefox and Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6?

I'm at least looking for:

1. What's different in how Firefox handles style sheets (CSS)
2. How does Firefox display Flash.different than IE with EMBED and OBJECT
tags

Thanks.

Big Will

corwin8 wrote:
> I'm seeing increased usage of Firefox browsers on my sites, and I just
> noticed that some elements of my web pages don't display properly in
> Firefox. Is there an authoritive list somewhere, for web developers, of the
> differences between Firefox and Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6?
>
> I'm at least looking for:
>
> 1. What's different in how Firefox handles style sheets (CSS)
> 2. How does Firefox display Flash.different than IE with EMBED and OBJECT
> tags
>
> Thanks.

I dunno about the first one, but AFAIK FF displays Flash just the same
as IE (at least it does on all the websites I've visited). The end-user
just has to have the Flash plugin installed for FF (which he/she might
chose not to install). In addition, there are also utilites for FF (and
probably IE) that allow the user to chose to dispaly flash on demand (I
use FlashBlock for FF).

Regards,

Will

John Thompson

On 2005-05-06, corwin8 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm seeing increased usage of Firefox browsers on my sites, and I just
> noticed that some elements of my web pages don't display properly in
> Firefox. Is there an authoritive list somewhere, for web developers, of the
> differences between Firefox and Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6?
>
> I'm at least looking for:
>
> 1. What's different in how Firefox handles style sheets (CSS)

Well, CSS is very poorly supported in IE and Microsoft has resisted
requests to fix it for years already.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Ed Mullen

corwin8 wrote:

> I'm seeing increased usage of Firefox browsers on my sites, and I just
> noticed that some elements of my web pages don't display properly in
> Firefox. Is there an authoritive list somewhere, for web developers, of the
> differences between Firefox and Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6?
>
> I'm at least looking for:
>
> 1. What's different in how Firefox handles style sheets (CSS)
> 2. How does Firefox display Flash.different than IE with EMBED and OBJECT
> tags
>
> Thanks.

Try running your pages against the validation engines.

http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

This will point out non-standard html and css usage which will probably
solve most of your issues.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 6 May 2005 14:18:23 -0400, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, corwin8 wrote:

> I'm seeing increased usage of Firefox browsers on my sites, and I just
> noticed that some elements of my web pages don't display properly in
> Firefox. Is there an authoritive list somewhere, for web developers, of the
> differences between Firefox and Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6?
>
> I'm at least looking for:
>
> 1. What's different in how Firefox handles style sheets (CSS)
> 2. How does Firefox display Flash.different than IE with EMBED and OBJECT
> tags

2. If you are asking how to code the HTML to display Flash
both in IE and in Firefox, then start by reading these

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...cfm?id=tn_4150

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/...e=00000925.htm

Flash should display more or less the same.
It is not IE or Firefox themselves but the Macromedia Flash plug-in
for each which actually displays the Flash content.

--
Cheers
Ralph

Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

corwin8

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
> Try running your pages against the validation engines.
>
> http://validator.w3.org/

This one gave me errors for non-existant problems (ex: said I didn't have a
<HEAD> tag - duh! I did!)

> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

PERFECT! Exactly what I needed - identified and fixed my problem, thanks!

> --
> Ed Mullen

corwin8

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 14:18:23 -0400, in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, corwin8 wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing increased usage of Firefox browsers on my sites, and I just
> > noticed that some elements of my web pages don't display properly in
> > Firefox. Is there an authoritive list somewhere, for web developers, of

the
> > differences between Firefox and Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6?
> >
> > I'm at least looking for:
> >
> > 1. What's different in how Firefox handles style sheets (CSS)
> > 2. How does Firefox display Flash.different than IE with EMBED and

OBJECT
> > tags

> 2. If you are asking how to code the HTML to display Flash
> both in IE and in Firefox, then start by reading these
>
> http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...cfm?id=tn_4150

Ah. Macromedia documentation. My favorite line from this is:

"Why use these all these HTML tags?"

(read it twice if you don't see what's wrong with it)

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/...e=00000925.htm

> Flash should display more or less the same.
> It is not IE or Firefox themselves but the Macromedia Flash plug-in
> for each which actually displays the Flash content.

It displays that same? Cool - thanks, Ralph!

As a side note - Macromedia's documentation is incorrect. IE & everyone else
all support the <EMBED> tag. The syntax is significanlly shorter than the
<OBJECT> tag - you can save over 150 bytes if properly coded.

> Cheers
> Ralph

Thanks!

Corwin

Ed Mullen

corwin8 wrote:

> "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> :
>
>>Try running your pages against the validation engines.
>>
>>http://validator.w3.org/

> This one gave me errors for non-existant problems (ex: said I didn't have a
> <HEAD> tag - duh! I did!)
>

>>http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

> PERFECT! Exactly what I needed - identified and fixed my problem, thanks!
>

>>--
>>Ed Mullen

Happy to help. I've tested hundreds of pages on the html validator and
never seen it flag something that was not an actual error of some sort.
You might want to check to see if you have the head tag misplaced.
And if you can't figure out why it's being flagged by the validator and
want someone else to check it out for you, just post a URL.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
A PBS mind in an MTV world.

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:04:01 -0400, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, corwin8 wrote:

> "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> :
> > Try running your pages against the validation engines.
> >
> > http://validator.w3.org/

> This one gave me errors for non-existant problems (ex: said I didn't have a
> <HEAD> tag - duh! I did!)

I would be very surprised.

Can you post the URL of your page so we can look for ourselves?

--
Cheers,
Ralph

corwin8

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...
> On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:04:01 -0400, in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, corwin8 wrote:
>
> > "Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > :
> > > Try running your pages against the validation engines.
> > >
> > > http://validator.w3.org/

> > This one gave me errors for non-existant problems (ex: said I didn't

have a
> > <HEAD> tag - duh! I did!)

> I would be very surprised.
>
> Can you post the URL of your page so we can look for ourselves?

Well, I fixed it. It seems that, on my included style sheet, one of the
declarations started with "{{" instead of "{".

IE seems to be more forgiving on these types of erorrs, and the page
displayed properly. Firefox ignored the line and rendered the type with no
styles, and the validator kicked out all kinds of nonexistant errors.

When I fixed the brackets, the page works fine now, thanks!