Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF won't work w/middle mouse button=Back

FF won't work w/middle mouse button=Back

rxp

I have my IBM 3-button optical scroll mouse programmed so the middle button
(scroll wheel) performs a "Back Page" command for the web browser. Works in
IE but not FF. I updated the mouse drivers but doesn't help. FF seems to
ignore how middle button is programmed. Same thing with Netscape. Any
Suggestions?

System: 3ghz P4, 1gb mem, XP pro.

Thanks, RP

Doug G

rxp wrote:

> I have my IBM 3-button optical scroll mouse programmed so the middle button
> (scroll wheel) performs a "Back Page" command for the web browser. Works in
> IE but not FF. I updated the mouse drivers but doesn't help. FF seems to
> ignore how middle button is programmed. Same thing with Netscape. Any
> Suggestions?
>
> System: 3ghz P4, 1gb mem, XP pro.
>
> Thanks, RP

What versions of Firefox and Netscape are you using?
Have you installed any themes or extensions?

If the scroll wheel button works correctly when Firefox is run in Safe
Mode, a theme or extension may be the culprit.

rxp

Thanks for the response.

I have no theme extensions installed, all I have is the default. I just
downloaded and installed FF 1.0.3 yesterday and haven't installed any
extensions. I had Netscape installed but uninstalled it when I had this
problem and went back to IE. I can't remember the version of Netscape I had
installed. I like FF and would like to keep using it if I can figure out why
this is happening. The scroll wheel works fine, FF just ignores how the
middle button is programmed. When I want to go "Back" in my browser to the
prior page I like to just press the middle button (faster). Works fine in IE
but not Mozilla-based browsers. Would like to use FF if I can.

Thanks, RP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

rxp wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I have no theme extensions installed, all I have is the default. I just
> downloaded and installed FF 1.0.3 yesterday and haven't installed any
> extensions. I had Netscape installed but uninstalled it when I had this
> problem and went back to IE. I can't remember the version of Netscape I had
> installed. I like FF and would like to keep using it if I can figure out why
> this is happening. The scroll wheel works fine, FF just ignores how the
> middle button is programmed. When I want to go "Back" in my browser to the
> prior page I like to just press the middle button (faster). Works fine in IE
> but not Mozilla-based browsers. Would like to use FF if I can.
>
> Thanks, RP
>

> "Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> rxp wrote:
>>
>>> I have my IBM 3-button optical scroll mouse programmed so the middle
>>> button (scroll wheel) performs a "Back Page" command for the web browser.
>>> Works in IE but not FF. I updated the mouse drivers but doesn't help. FF
>>> seems to ignore how middle button is programmed. Same thing with
>>> Netscape. Any Suggestions?
>>>
>>> System: 3ghz P4, 1gb mem, XP pro.
>>>
>>> Thanks, RP

>> What versions of Firefox and Netscape are you using?
>> Have you installed any themes or extensions?
>>
>> If the scroll wheel button works correctly when Firefox is run in Safe
>> Mode, a theme or extension may be the culprit.

The scroll wheel button on my Logitech mouse is programmed for "Internet
Back Command" and works with all Mozilla and Netscape browsers I have
installed (Moz 1.7.7, FF 1.0.3, N7.2 and N8.0).

I did have trouble scrolling with the scroll wheel in MS Office XP Pro
apps before I reinstalled an old version of Logitech Mouseware.

rxp

I'll take the Logitech mouse off my son's PC and try it.
Thanks!

"Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> rxp wrote:
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> I have no theme extensions installed, all I have is the default. I just
>> downloaded and installed FF 1.0.3 yesterday and haven't installed any
>> extensions. I had Netscape installed but uninstalled it when I had this
>> problem and went back to IE. I can't remember the version of Netscape I
>> had installed. I like FF and would like to keep using it if I can figure
>> out why this is happening. The scroll wheel works fine, FF just ignores
>> how the middle button is programmed. When I want to go "Back" in my
>> browser to the prior page I like to just press the middle button
>> (faster). Works fine in IE but not Mozilla-based browsers. Would like to
>> use FF if I can.
>>
>> Thanks, RP
>>

>> "Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What versions of Firefox and Netscape are you using?
>>> Have you installed any themes or extensions?
>>>
>>> If the scroll wheel button works correctly when Firefox is run in Safe
>>> Mode, a theme or extension may be the culprit.

> The scroll wheel button on my Logitech mouse is programmed for "Internet
> Back Command" and works with all Mozilla and Netscape browsers I have
> installed (Moz 1.7.7, FF 1.0.3, N7.2 and N8.0).
>
> I did have trouble scrolling with the scroll wheel in MS Office XP Pro
> apps before I reinstalled an old version of Logitech Mouseware.

rxp

Yep, works fine with the Logitech mouse.
So I guess I'll just get one.

Thanks!

"rxp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news1wee.38418$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll take the Logitech mouse off my son's PC and try it.
> Thanks!
>

> "Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> rxp wrote:
>>> Thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> I have no theme extensions installed, all I have is the default. I just
>>> downloaded and installed FF 1.0.3 yesterday and haven't installed any
>>> extensions. I had Netscape installed but uninstalled it when I had this
>>> problem and went back to IE. I can't remember the version of Netscape I
>>> had installed. I like FF and would like to keep using it if I can figure
>>> out why this is happening. The scroll wheel works fine, FF just ignores
>>> how the middle button is programmed. When I want to go "Back" in my
>>> browser to the prior page I like to just press the middle button
>>> (faster). Works fine in IE but not Mozilla-based browsers. Would like to
>>> use FF if I can.
>>>
>>> Thanks, RP
>>>

>>> "Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> The scroll wheel button on my Logitech mouse is programmed for "Internet
>> Back Command" and works with all Mozilla and Netscape browsers I have
>> installed (Moz 1.7.7, FF 1.0.3, N7.2 and N8.0).
>>
>> I did have trouble scrolling with the scroll wheel in MS Office XP Pro
>> apps before I reinstalled an old version of Logitech Mouseware.

lacunae

On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:16:49 -0500, rxp wrote:

> Yep, works fine with the Logitech mouse. So I guess I'll just get one.
>
> Thanks!

another way around it is to program the button to send an [ALT+LeftArrow]
keystroke, which will go back a page in ie,mozilla & opera.

that's what i did on the computers that i have microsoft mice (wireless
explorers) on -- seems like their driver/software is written in such a way
that it sends forward/back commands that only IE seems to understand.

my logitech drivers/software sends forward/back that work fine in all the
browsers i use. (a couple of cheapo generic mice that i had with
forward/back buttons had properly working buttons in their software too)

i guess its a case of what else would u expect from microsoft...