Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio vs. Hard Coding Web Applications...

Visual Studio vs. Hard Coding Web Applications...

Electrified Research

I just want to know other peoples' views about this. Now that VS2005
is out, how do people feel about visual editors?

Personally I am so comfortable with hand coding that Visual Studio
along with other comparable tools seem to slow me down or just don't
provide enough value to what I'm doing. I truly hope I'm missing the
point and really want to discover something about Visual Studio that
makes me want to switch, but until then, I just keep falling back to
EditPlus.

I may just be too much of a code critic to allow Visual Studio to do
its job.

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=

I dont use VS for the "Display" mode of the designer but rather for many
other reasons.
Intellisense.
Integration with Source Control.
Debugger.

These reasons alone make it a must have, IMNSHO

--
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com

"Electrified Research" wrote:

> I just want to know other peoples' views about this. Now that VS2005
> is out, how do people feel about visual editors?
>
> Personally I am so comfortable with hand coding that Visual Studio
> along with other comparable tools seem to slow me down or just don't
> provide enough value to what I'm doing. I truly hope I'm missing the
> point and really want to discover something about Visual Studio that
> makes me want to switch, but until then, I just keep falling back to
> EditPlus.
>
> I may just be too much of a code critic to allow Visual Studio to do
> its job.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

I could probably code by hand but the designers in VS 2005 make me so much
more efficient that I couldn't see trying to type all that code.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"Electrified Research" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just want to know other peoples' views about this. Now that VS2005
> is out, how do people feel about visual editors?
>
> Personally I am so comfortable with hand coding that Visual Studio
> along with other comparable tools seem to slow me down or just don't
> provide enough value to what I'm doing. I truly hope I'm missing the
> point and really want to discover something about Visual Studio that
> makes me want to switch, but until then, I just keep falling back to
> EditPlus.
>
> I may just be too much of a code critic to allow Visual Studio to do
> its job.

Jon Paal

There's no substitute for hand coding.

Faith is so easy, no thought required

Kevin Spencer

> There's no substitute for hand coding.

There is no substitute for wisdom. Hand-coding is appropriate when
productivity tools are not available. Productivity tools are invaluable when
they are available.

This is not a blanket endorsement of ALL productivity tools. Some GUI tools
create excessive code. However, even these can often enhance productivity if
one is competent to tweak the generated code, thus getting the benefit of
time saved along with efficient/clean code.

IDEs are designed with productivity in mind. They are designed BY developers
FOR developers. Features like project and solution templates in Visual
Studio.Net, for example, write a lot of code for you. After all, if certain
types of projects require a lot of the same code, why re-type it for every
project? Visual Studio also has the ability for the developer to create
his/her own templates, for more specialized types of projects, or for work
within a certain configuration of developers. With the complexity of class
libraries like the CLR, Intellisense makes a lot of sense. Only pride would
prevent one from using it, and pride doesn't pay the bills. It is important
to solve problems, not to prove one is better than others at solving them.

In other words, productivity tools are invaluable. We have used them ever
since our ancestors in ancient times began to create tools, and for the same
reasons. However, productivity tools will never be a substitute for hard
work, study, knowledge and imagination. Used wisely, they enable us. When
they become a substitute for hard work, study, knowledge, and imagination,
they cripple us.

> Faith is so easy, no thought required

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -
Albert Einstein

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

"Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's no substitute for hand coding.

> Faith is so easy, no thought required

Jon Paal

That's why there are so many nice text editors to help hand coding

If you want religion to be the law of the land, move to Iran

Patrick.O.Ige

Hard Coding nah way

"Jon Paal" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
news:u#(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's why there are so many nice text editors to help hand coding

> If you want religion to be the law of the land, move to Iran

Electrified Research

I must admit that I would never hand code a Windows Application, but an
ASPX page is another story.

Kevin Spencer

I live in a 2-story building. It used to be a 3-story building, but that's
another story.

--
,

Kevin Spencer