Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > multiple versions of java plug-in Netscape 7.2

multiple versions of java plug-in Netscape 7.2

bud

I am trying to force Netscape 7.2 to only use the plug-in version
1.4.2_07. Is it possible to have all the plugins available to be used
in different browser sessions, WITHOUT having to go into the control
panel for each session?

Each time I install a plugins - the new plugin takes control away from
the previous plugin. This means if a user has two applications which
use different plugins, the user must switch the plugin being used by
going through the control panel.

Also ...

When I go into the plugin control panel for the version needed and
designate a specific plugin for Netscape, it deselects the Netscape
option in the other plugin control panels.
Applying the 142_07 plugin deselects the 1.5.0 browser settings for
netscape 7.2 If the user must install another jre, the control of the
one we require is given to the new plugin.

I have tried with and without the .dll files in the Netscape/plugins
directory.

Also needs to be accomplished without the "Java Web Start" utility.

I know the user can change the plugin settings after the install, but
this is unclean. Not very user friendly from a software companies
perspective. Is there a way to progamatically make this change so the
user does not have to?

Moz Champion

bud wrote:
> I am trying to force Netscape 7.2 to only use the plug-in version
> 1.4.2_07. Is it possible to have all the plugins available to be used
> in different browser sessions, WITHOUT having to go into the control
> panel for each session?
>
> Each time I install a plugins - the new plugin takes control away from
> the previous plugin. This means if a user has two applications which
> use different plugins, the user must switch the plugin being used by
> going through the control panel.
>
> Also ...
>
> When I go into the plugin control panel for the version needed and
> designate a specific plugin for Netscape, it deselects the Netscape
> option in the other plugin control panels.
> Applying the 142_07 plugin deselects the 1.5.0 browser settings for
> netscape 7.2 If the user must install another jre, the control of the
> one we require is given to the new plugin.
>
> I have tried with and without the .dll files in the Netscape/plugins
> directory.
>
> Also needs to be accomplished without the "Java Web Start" utility.
>
> I know the user can change the plugin settings after the install, but
> this is unclean. Not very user friendly from a software companies
> perspective. Is there a way to progamatically make this change so the
> user does not have to?

Um, if you had the newer 1.50 Java plug in, why would you go back to the
old 1.47 one?

With most other plugins, the new one subsumes the operations of the old
one, and is a replacement for it, you can usually trash the older
versions, just keeping the newer ones. In most cases, where a program
demands one version, you can tweak either the program (or sometimes
another file) to override/ignore it and allow it to use the newer one.

If you want specific plug ins to be available in Netsape, then dont use
the Control Panel (system controls) to select them, use Netscape.

By using Control Panel, you are overriding what the program sets