Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox in a multi-user network?

Firefox in a multi-user network?

Kilian A. Foth

Hello world,

I recently got the task of upgrading our ancient browsers in a Solaris
8 cluster. Naturally I want Firefox. But I'm having zero luck with
getting any recent firefox to run. I tried `contributed' builds from a
variety of sources, but every one of them either

- complains that various OS patches are needed, half of which do
not even exist according to Sun

- simply says `Killed' when started

- expects to have its installation directory world-writable so it can
muck about with the extensions/ directory. Naturally, this is out
of the question, since the packages directory is user-unwritable
(in fact, the entire partition is mounted read-only).

- some combination of the above.

I have tried building the thing myself; an hour later the source is
still extracting, so it will be a *long* time before I know whether
that helps. Before I plunge into the madness of compilation
dependencies -- there a preferred way of geting a recent firefox to
run in a multi-user environment?

--
No animal was harmed in the composition of this message.

John Thompson

On 2005-05-02, Kilian A. Foth <(E-Mail Removed)-hamburg.de> wrote:

> I recently got the task of upgrading our ancient browsers in a Solaris
> 8 cluster. Naturally I want Firefox. But I'm having zero luck with
> getting any recent firefox to run. I tried `contributed' builds from a
> variety of sources, but every one of them either
>
> - complains that various OS patches are needed, half of which do
> not even exist according to Sun
>
> - simply says `Killed' when started
>
> - expects to have its installation directory world-writable so it can
> muck about with the extensions/ directory. Naturally, this is out
> of the question, since the packages directory is user-unwritable
> (in fact, the entire partition is mounted read-only).
>
> - some combination of the above.

Well, Solaris 8 *IS* pretty old; is there a reason why you can't update to
Solaris 9 or 10? Both are available from Sun as free downloads.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))