Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Asistance REQ: for firefox off but in task menu

Asistance REQ: for firefox off but in task menu

MrRx

I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop showing. I
try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a ctrl-alt-del for the Task
Window and have to end processes of firefox.exe.

Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.

Thanks for help

Moz Champion

MrRx wrote:
> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop showing. I
> try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a ctrl-alt-del for the Task
> Window and have to end processes of firefox.exe.
>
> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
>
> Thanks for help

When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
simply closing the windows <g>
Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
dont have anything open in which you can view it!

Tony Raven

Moz Champion wrote:
> MrRx wrote:
>
>> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop
>> showing. I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a
>> ctrl-alt-del for the Task Window and have to end processes of
>> firefox.exe.
>>
>> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
>>
>> Thanks for help
>>

> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
> simply closing the windows <g>
> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
> dont have anything open in which you can view it!

But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

mike555

==== you need to make a new profile and then reinstall your extensions
, you have a conflict with something in your profile, maybe some ext.
didn't uninstall right or something.... in order to make a new
profile (with firefox completely off) click on start, run, and type
firefox.exe -profilemanager ..... that should bring up a
wizard , just tell it you want a new profile and name it something like
" new profile " , and tell it to use that profile ...... exit , then
when you start firefox it be OK, except with no extensions installed (
but plug-ins , like flash ,etc. should be there)...... you should check
the firefox boards for info on extension conflicts , and how to do
profiles at .....
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile ===========

Barney

Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> had
writtennews:l8Bce.163921$(E-Mail Removed)
:

> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you
> are simply closing the windows <g>
> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that
> you dont have anything open in which you can view it!

You have probably solved that problem for me as well because on one
occassion I had it happened to me. Thankyou!

--
Barney __________________________
Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

Moz Champion

Tony Raven wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> MrRx wrote:
>>
>>> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop
>>> showing. I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a
>>> ctrl-alt-del for the Task Window and have to end processes of
>>> firefox.exe.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help
>>>

>> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
>> simply closing the windows <g>
>> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
>> dont have anything open in which you can view it!

> But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
> is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
> have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program

If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
its simply removing that window.

If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
message will open a new window for you.

If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
program.

MrRx

I agree but I am using the CLOSE APP 'X' in roght upper corner OR I use
File....Close

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l8Bce.163921$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MrRx wrote:
>> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop showing.
>> I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a ctrl-alt-del for the
>> Task Window and have to end processes of firefox.exe.
>>
>> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
>>
>> Thanks for help
>>

> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
> simply closing the windows <g>
> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
> dont have anything open in which you can view it!

MrRx

Exactly what I am asking. This is now happening EVERY time I use firefox!

"Tony Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Moz Champion wrote:
>> MrRx wrote:
>>
>>> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop
>>> showing. I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a ctrl-alt-del
>>> for the Task Window and have to end processes of firefox.exe.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help
>>>

>> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
>> simply closing the windows <g>
>> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
>> dont have anything open in which you can view it!

> But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but is
> still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you have
> stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
> Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

MrRx

NOT closing the window CLOSING the whole program... Then have to go to Tasks
and End Process in order to c lear the RAM of firefox so it will run again!

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AJlde.684943$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
>>> simply closing the windows <g>
>>> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
>>> dont have anything open in which you can view it!

>> But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
>> is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
>> have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program
>>

> If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
> its simply removing that window.
>
> If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
> windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
> new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
> message will open a new window for you.
>
> If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
> program.

Moz Champion

MrRx wrote:
> NOT closing the window CLOSING the whole program... Then have to go to Tasks
> and End Process in order to c lear the RAM of firefox so it will run again!
>

> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:AJlde.684943$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Tony Raven wrote:

>>>But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
>>>is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
>>>have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program
>>>

>>If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
>>its simply removing that window.
>>
>>If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
>>windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
>>new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
>>message will open a new window for you.
>>
>>If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
>>program.

Are you closing or quitting?