Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Swithing Unicode fonts

Swithing Unicode fonts

Nik

I am using ISO Latin 2 (ISO 8859-2) and Unicode UTF-8 in Mozilla News
browser on WinXP.

No matter which font I set for the Unicode (Appearance, Fonts, Fonts for
Unicode; I have tried, for instance, with 'Arial Unicode MS', 'Lucinda
Sans Unicode' and 'Sanskrit 2003') the page always shows the messages in
Courier (the message was sent in UTF-8 charset).

I see all characters correctly and the browser switches the font to
Arial, if certain characters appear in the text, like some devanāgarī
text and certain Latin charaters: 'ḥ' (h underdot), ȁ ȃ (vowels with
tonic accent diacritics). But this change happens only for this
character and after that browser switches back to Courier...

How could I set the browser so that the UTF-8 messages would use the
same font in the whole message, and possibly some new Unicode font that
I installed on the system.

TIA.

Nik

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:36:23 +0200, in message
<d4t2n8$gah$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nik wrote:

> I am using ISO Latin 2 (ISO 8859-2) and Unicode UTF-8 in Mozilla News
> browser on WinXP.
>
> No matter which font I set for the Unicode (Appearance, Fonts, Fonts for
> Unicode; I have tried, for instance, with 'Arial Unicode MS', 'Lucinda
> Sans Unicode' and 'Sanskrit 2003') the page always shows the messages in
> Courier (the message was sent in UTF-8 charset).

I'm sure you know that
• Courier is a fixed width (monospace) font
• 'Arial Unicode MS' is a variable width (proportional) font
and a sans-serif font.

1. What is your setting at

Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Message Display
---Plain Text Messages---
Use this font when displaying plain text messages---
(•) Fixed width font
( ) Variable width font

2. When you tried setting the font for Unicode to 'Arial Unicode MS',
there are actually 5 different places to select a font
Serif
Sans-serif
Cursive
Fantasy
Monospace
Which one(s) of these did you set to 'Arial Unicode MS'?

3. Note that

3.1 "Fixed width font" in #1 means the "Monospace" font in #2.

3.2 "Variable width font" in #1 means either the "Serif" font
in #2 or the "Sans-serif" font in #2, depending on whether
the "Proportional" setting above these in #2 is set to
"Serif" or to "Sans-serif".

> I see all characters correctly and the browser switches the font to
> Arial, if certain characters appear in the text, like some devan?gar?
> text and certain Latin charaters: '?' (h underdot), ? ? (vowels with
> tonic accent diacritics). But this change happens only for this
> character and after that browser switches back to Courier...

That is because you selected "fixed width font", but those certain
characters do not exist in the fixed width (monospaced) font which
you have configured. So the browser temporarily uses another font.

> How could I set the browser so that the UTF-8 messages would use the
> same font in the whole message, and possibly some new Unicode font that
> I installed on the system.

If you want to use a variable-width (proportional) sans-serif font
like 'Arial Unicode MS', then

1. Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Message Display
Select "Variable width font" (because that is what 'Arial Unicode MS'
is).

2. Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts, Fonts for Unicode

2.1 Set "Proportional" to Sans-serif (because those are what
'Arial Unicode MS' is).
2.2 Set Sans-serif to 'Arial Unicode MS'.

Adjust as needed if your Unicode font is
• a variable-width (proportional) serif font;
• a fixed width (monospaced) font.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

Nik

Ralph Fox wrote:

> I'm sure you know that
> • Courier is a fixed width (monospace) font
> • 'Arial Unicode MS' is a variable width (proportional) font
> and a sans-serif font.

Yes.

> 1. What is your setting at
>
> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Message Display
> ---Plain Text Messages---
> Use this font when displaying plain text messages---
> (•) Fixed width font
> ( ) Variable width font

Yeah, here was the problem. I completely missed this option.

> 2. When you tried setting the font for Unicode to 'Arial Unicode MS',
> there are actually 5 different places to select a font
> Serif
> Sans-serif
> Cursive
> Fantasy
> Monospace
> Which one(s) of these did you set to 'Arial Unicode MS'?

All. If the message (or page) is in UTF-8 (lets say devanāgarī and latin
with diacritics), all have to have the Unicode font, or?

> 3. Note that
>
> 3.1 "Fixed width font" in #1 means the "Monospace" font in #2.
>
> 3.2 "Variable width font" in #1 means either the "Serif" font
> in #2 or the "Sans-serif" font in #2, depending on whether
> the "Proportional" setting above these in #2 is set to
> "Serif" or to "Sans-serif".

Tricky. I would still like Courier for normal messages (ISO 8859-2).

Now I have chosen "Variable width font" and the "Proportional" setting
on "Sans Serif" (it seems this "Proportional" setting is not remembered
for each code page separately?).

For Unicode I have set "Arial Unicode MS" font (on all options) and for
"Central European" I have set "Courier New" on the 'Sans-serif font'
option (which is I guess wrong, but it worked!)

Thanks again.
Nik

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:25:56 +0200, in message
<d4tg5o$ig6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nik wrote:

> > 2. When you tried setting the font for Unicode to 'Arial Unicode MS',
> > there are actually 5 different places to select a font
> > Serif
> > Sans-serif
> > Cursive
> > Fantasy
> > Monospace
> > Which one(s) of these did you set to 'Arial Unicode MS'?

> All.

Hmmm. I had (wrongly) thought that Mozilla only listed monospaced fonts
in the "Monospace" drop down list (so 'Arial Unicode MS' would not
have been an option), but checking now I see that this was wrong.

Checking further... Netscape 4 only lists monospaced fonts in its
"Monospace" drop down list, so maybe that is where I retained this
impression from.

> If the message (or page) is in UTF-8 (lets say devanāgarī and latin
> with diacritics), all have to have the Unicode font, or?

All these fonts would have to be set to Unicode fonts, but not
necessarily the same font.

> > 3. Note that
> >
> > 3.1 "Fixed width font" in #1 means the "Monospace" font in #2.
> >
> > 3.2 "Variable width font" in #1 means either the "Serif" font
> > in #2 or the "Sans-serif" font in #2, depending on whether
> > the "Proportional" setting above these in #2 is set to
> > "Serif" or to "Sans-serif".

> Tricky. I would still like Courier for normal messages (ISO 8859-2).

Understandable.

> Now I have chosen "Variable width font" and the "Proportional" setting
> on "Sans Serif"

OK.

> (it seems this "Proportional" setting is not remembered
> for each code page separately?).

I just checked and you are right.
It seems an odd way to do things, as
(b) Ones preferred font for script A might be serif and
for script B might be sans-serif.
(a) The layout of that preferences page suggests it is a
should be, like the other settings in the same box,
remembered separately.

> For Unicode I have set "Arial Unicode MS" font (on all options)

There are some monospaced fonts with good unicode character ranges,
but I don't know of one which includes devanāgarī.

> and for
> "Central European" I have set "Courier New" on the 'Sans-serif font'
> option (which is I guess wrong, but it worked!)

OK if it works for you.

It's not wrong to select a monospaced font here.

(However, the picky could complain that "Courier New" is a serif
font, and so its strictly wrong to select it for that reason.)

--
Cheers,
Ralph